Variations in the satellited chromosomes ofCicer arietinum Linn.
The diversity in the morphology of the SAT-chromosomes ofC. arietinum in different roots are analysed in the context of similar variations observed in the different cells of one of the roots. Intergrades between the two pairs of chromosomes with normal satellites and those with tandem ones were observed in anaphases. The differences in the number as well as the size of the SAT-grains of replicated chromosomes indicate that non-reciprocal translocations between sister chromosomes may be of parts of SAT-grains and not of entire ones.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Conklin, E. G... “Karyokinesis and cytokinesis in the maturation, fertilization, and cleavage ofCrepidula and other gasteropoda,”Jour. Acad. Nat. Sci. Phila., 1902,12, 1–121. (Quoted by Gates.)Google Scholar
- 3.Darlington, C. D...Recent Advances in Cytology, J. & A. Churchill, London, 1937.Google Scholar
- 4.De Robertis, E. D. P., Nowinski, W. W. and Saez, F. A.General Cytology, W. B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 1948.Google Scholar
- 5.Fernandes, A... “Les Satellites chez les Narcissus. III. La Nature du filament,”Bol. Soc. Broteriana, 1937,12, Ser. II, 139–58.Google Scholar
- 8.Iyengar, N. K... “Cytological investigations on the genusCicer,”Ann. Bot., N.S. 1939,3, 271–305.Google Scholar
- 9.Knight, R. L... “Dictionary of Genetics,” Chronica Botanica, Waltham, Mass., 1948.Google Scholar
- 10.Ludford, R. J... “The morphology and physiology of the nucleolus in the germ cell cycle ofLimnæa stagnalis,”Jour. Roy. Micr. Soc., 1922,42, 113–50.Google Scholar
- 11.Marimuthu, K. M. and Subramaniam, M. K. “A hæmatoxylin squash method for the root tips ofDolichos lablab Linn.”Curr. Sci., 1960,29, 482.Google Scholar
- 13.Meenakshi, G. and Subramaniam, M. K. “Tandem satellites inCicer arietinum Linn.,”Curr. Sci., 1960,29, 438.Google Scholar
- 14.Mensinkai, S. W... “The conception of the satellite and the nucleolus and the behaviour of these bodies in cell division,”Ann. Bot., N.S. 1939,3, 763–94.Google Scholar
- 16.Navashin, S... “Sur le dimorphisme nucléaire des Cellules somatiques deGaltonia candicans,”Bull. Imp. Acad. Sci. Petersburg, 1912,6, 373–85. (Quoted by Gates.)Google Scholar
- 20.Schulz-Schaeffer, J... “Cytological investigations in the genus Bromus. III. The cytotaxonomic significance of the satellite chromosomes,”Jour. Hered., 1960,51, 269–77.Google Scholar
- 22.Srinath, K. V... “A probable case of translocation during mitosis involving the satellite thread,”Curr. Sci., 1942,11, 59.Google Scholar
- 23.Swanson, C. P...Cytology and Cytogenetics, MacMillan & Co., London, 1960.Google Scholar