The Raman spectra of organic compounds
- 346 Downloads
The Raman spectra of methyl alcohol, ethyl alcohol,n-propyl alcohol andn-butyl alcohol have been recorded using λ 2537 excitation. 35, 49, 45 and 51 Raman lines respectively have been identified in the spectra of these alcohols, in addition to the rotational ‘wings’. In each case, a large number of additional lines have been recorded. The existence of Raman lines with frequency shifts greater than 3800 cm.−1, first reported by Bolla in the spectrum of ethyl alcohol, has been confirmed. Similar high-frequency shift Raman lines have also been recorded in the spectrum of methyl alcohol. They have been assigned as combinations. Proper assignments have been given for the prominent Raman lines appearing in the spectra of these alcohols.
KeywordsRaman Spectrum Frequency Shift Ethyl Alcohol Quinan Raman Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Berthelot, C...Comptus Rendus, 1950,231, 1481.Google Scholar
- 3.Bolla, G...Zeitschrift fur Physik, 1934,90 (3), 609.Google Scholar
- 4.Brown, J. K., Sheppard, N. and Simpson, D. M.Disc. Faraday Soc., 1950, No. 9, 261.Google Scholar
- 5.Ganesan, A. S. and Venkateswaran, S.Indian Journal of Physics, 1929,4, 195.Google Scholar
- 8.Herzberg, G. ..Molecular Spectra and Molecular Structure, Vol. II.Infrared and Raman Spectra of Polyatomic Molecules, D. Van Nostrand Co., 1945.Google Scholar
- 11.Medard, L...Comptus Rendus, 1934,198, 1407.Google Scholar
- 12.Narayanaswamy, P. K...Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1947,26 A, 121.Google Scholar
- 13.Nevgi, G. V. and Jatkar, S. K. K.Indian Journal of Physics, 1931,8, 397.Google Scholar
- 14.Plyler, E. K...Jour. Research Natl. Bur. Standards, 1952,48, 281.Google Scholar
- 16.Sanyal, S. B...Indian Journal of Physics, 1950,24, 378.Google Scholar
- 23.Venkateswaran, S. and Bhagavantam, S.Indian Journal of Physics, 1930,5, 129.Google Scholar