Part 3: Advanced course of ontological engineering
This article deals with advanced topics of ontological engineering to convince readers ontology is more than a rule base of terminological problems and is worth to consider a promising methodology in the next generation knowledge processing research. Needless to say, ontology in AI is tightly connected to ontology in philosophy. The first topic here is on philosophical issues which are very important to properly understand what an ontology is. After defining class, instance andis-a relation, we point out some typical inappropriate uses ofis-a relation in existing ontologies and analyze the reasons why. Other topics are basic ontological distinction, part-of relation, and so on. As an advanced example of ontology, an ontology of representation is extensively discussed. To conclude this tutorial, a success story of ontological engineering is presented. It is concerned with a new kind of application of ontology, that is, knowledge systematization. An ontology-based framework for functional knowledge sharing has been deployed into a company for two years and has been a great success. Finally, future of ontological engineering is discussed followed by concluding remarks.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).http://ontology.teknowledge.com:8080/rsigma/dialog-3d-4d.htmlGoogle Scholar
- 2).Guarino, N. and Welty, C., “Evaluating Ontological Decisions with OntoClean,”Communications of the ACM, 2, 45, pp. 61–65, 2002.Google Scholar
- 3).Guarino, N., “Some Ontological Principles for Designing Upper Level Lexical Resources,” inProc. of First International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, ELRA — European Language Resources Association, pp. 527–534, Granada, Spain, 1998.Google Scholar
- 5).Hubka, V., Eder, W. E.,Theory of Technical Systems, Berlin, Springer-Verlag, 1998.Google Scholar
- 6).Hubka, V., Eder, W. E., “Functions Revisited,” inProc. of ICED 01, 2001.Google Scholar
- 9).Mizoguchi, R. and Kitamura, Y., “Foundation of Knowledge Systematization: Role of Ontological Engineering,”Industrial Knowledge Management — A Micro Level Approach (Rajkumar R. ed.), Ch. 1, pp. 17–36, Springer-Verlag, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10).http://www.opencyc.org/Google Scholar
- 11).Pahl, G. and Beitz, W.,Engineering Design — A Systematic Approach, The Design Council, 1988.Google Scholar