Boden’s1,2) philosophical account of creativity has been criticised on the grounds that it does not properly capture some aspects of creative situations.5) Wiggins13) has presented a formalisation of Boden’s account, which allows such issues to be examined more precisely. We explore the relationship between traditional AI search methods and Boden’s abstraction of creative behaviour, and revisit Bundy’s argument in the context of that exploration.
KeywordsComputational Creativity Search Complexity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Boden, M.,The Creative Mind, Abacus, 1990.Google Scholar
- 2).Boden, M., “Creativity and Artificial Intelligence,”Journal of Artificial Intelligence, 1998.Google Scholar
- 3).Boden, M., “Evaluating Creativity,” Unpublished Keynote Talk at the AISB Convention, Edinburgh, 1999.Google Scholar
- 4).Buchanan, B., “Creativity at the Meta-level,”Al Magazine, 2000. Reprint of keynote lecture to AAAI-2000.Google Scholar
- 5).Bundy, A., “What is the Difference between Real Creativity and Mere Novelty?,”Behavioural and Brain Sciences, 1994.Google Scholar
- 6).Machado, P., Dias, A. and Cardoso, A., “Learning to Colour Greyscale Images,”AISB Journal, 1, 2, pp. 209–219, 2002.Google Scholar
- 7).Masters, J. and Güngördü, Z., “Structured Knowledge Source Integration: A Progress Report,” inIntegration of Knowledge Intensive Multiagent Systems, Cambridge, MA, 2003.Google Scholar
- 8).Minsky, M., “The Puzzle Principle,” inThe Society of Mind (Minsky, M., ed.), Simon and Schuster, New York, 1986.Google Scholar
- 9).Ritchie, G.D., “Assessing Creativity,”Proceedings of the AISB’01 Symposium on AI and Creativity in Arts and Science (Wiggins, G.A., ed.) AISB, 2001.Google Scholar
- 12).Turing, A., “On Computable Numbers, with an Application to the Entscheidungsproblem,”Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society, 2, 42, pp. 230–265, 1936.Google Scholar
- 13).Wiggins, G.A., “A Preliminary Framework for Description, Analysis and Comparison of Creative Systems,” to appear inJournal of Knowledge Based Systems, in press.Google Scholar