Peptic ulcer---The effect of high protein diet on the behavior of the disease
- 20 Downloads
Summary And Conclusion
Based on results in the production and the prevention of experimental gastric ulcer in animals, a high protein diet was used in the treatment of forty patients with peptic ulcer.
The high protein regimen consisted of a mixed diet with hourly feeding of gelatin between meals.
Symptomatic relief was noted in ninety per cent of patients studied.
The theoretical considerations for the use of high protein diets are presented.
We feel that this method, though not considered as a specific, has a definite place in the management of peptic ulcer, especially so in cases that do not respond to drug therapy.
KeywordsGelatin Methylene Blue Peptic Ulcer High Protein Diet Plain Water
- 1.Billings: Forchheimer’s Therapeusis of Internal Diseases. D. Appleton & Co., 1920.Google Scholar
- 2.Hoelzel, F. and Da Costa, E.: Production of Ulcers in the Prostomachs of Rats by Protein Reduction.Proc. Soc. for Exp. Biol. and Med., 29:382–384, 1932.Google Scholar
- 3.Weech, A. A. and Paige, B. H.: IV. Peptic Ulcer Produced by the Same Low Protein Diet that Leads to Hypoproteinemia and Edema.Amer. J. Path., 13:249–256, 1937.Google Scholar
- 4.Matzner, M. J., Windwer, C. and Sobel, A. E.: The Role of Protein in the Prevention of Experimental Gastric Ulcers.Am. Jour. Dig. Dis., V. I, 36–39, 1938.Google Scholar
- 5.Emery, E. S. and Monroe, R. T.: Peptic Ulcer. Nature and Treatment Based on a Study of 1435 Cases.Arch. Int. Med., Iv, 271, 1935.Google Scholar
- 6.Whipple:Physiol. Rev., 2:440, 1923.Google Scholar
- 6.aWhipple and Smith:Jour. Biol. Chem., 80:659, 671-689, 1928, 689, 1929.Google Scholar
- 7.Emery, E. S. and Schnitker, M. A.: Peptic Ulcer: the Effect of the Administration of Bile on the Behavior of the Disease.Annals. Int. Med., 11:2007–2017, 1938.Google Scholar
- 8.Pottenger, F. M.: Hydrophilic Colloidal Diet.Am. Jour. Dig. Dis., 5:96–99, 1938.Google Scholar
- 9.Brand, Harris, E., Sandberg, M. M. and Ringen, A. L.:Amer. Jour. Physiol., 90:296, Oct., 1929.Google Scholar