Effect of boron on vitamin D deficient rats
- 78 Downloads
The effects of different levels of dietary boron were determined in vitamin D deficient rats. Vitamin D deficient diets containing either 0.158 ppm or 2.72 ppm of boron were fed to rats for 11 w, and calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus apparent absorption and balance were measured in the twelfth week. Higher apparent absorption and balance values for calcium and phosphorus were observed in the rats with higher dietary boron, but very few differences were seen in body wt, organ wt, and bone parameters. Balance measurements represented the present status of the rats after 12 w on the diets, but other measurements represented an accumulation over the lifetime of the rat, including a suckling period with ample vitamin D and boron. The data demonstrated that when rats are vitamin D deficient, as indicated by hypocalcemia, the level of boron in the diet affects mineral balance.
Index EntriesBoron vitamin D calcium magnesium phosphorus apparent absorption and balance hypocalcemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. D. Hunt and F. H. Nielsen, inTrace Element Metabolism in Man and Animals, 4th Intl. J. M. Howell, J. M. Gawthorne, and C. L. White, ed. Austral. Acad. Sci. Canberra, Australia, 597 (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.F. H. Nielson,Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 4, W. J. Darby, ed. Annual Reviews Inc., Palo Alto, CA, 21 (1984).Google Scholar
- 3.C. D. Hunt,FASEB J. 3, A760 (1989).Google Scholar
- 4.B. Brossart and F. H. Nielson,ND Acad. Sci. 40, 128 (1986).Google Scholar
- 9.Personal communication with R. Brommage, Nestle Co., Switzerland.Google Scholar
- 11.J. G. Penland,FASEB J. 4, A1045 (1990).Google Scholar
- 12.J. G. Penland,FASEB J. 3, A1242 (1989).Google Scholar
- 13.C. D. Hunt and F. H. Nielsen, In:6th Intl Symposium on Trace Elements in Man and Animals, L. S. Hurley, C. L. Keen, B. Lonnerdal, and R. B. Rucker, ed. Plenum Publishing, NY, NY, 275 (1988).Google Scholar
- 14.B. P. Halloran,Nutr. Rep. Intl. 31, 1149 (1985).Google Scholar
- 15.M. Keenan, M. Hegsted, and R. Mohan,FASEB J. 2, A1098 (1988).Google Scholar
- 17.F. H. Nielsen,FASEB J. 3, A760 (1989).Google Scholar