Control of cisplatin induced emesis — A multidisciplinary intervention strategy
- 15 Downloads
A pharmacological, behavioural and nursing intervention strategy was evaluated for prevention of cisplatin (50 mg m-2) induced emesis in ovarian cancer patients. 46 patients received metoclopramide 2.5 mg kg-1 i.V., b.i.d., dexamethasone 20 mg i.V., lorazepam and biperiden as well as training in relaxation, nutritional advice and continuity in nursing care. Controls (n = 34) received standard treatment (metoclopramide 10-20 mg i.v. or dixyracin 20 mg i.V.). The intensity and duration of nausea and vomiting were significantly lower and measures of quality of life higher for patients on the experimental ward during the three cycles that were studied. No significant changes in emesis were observed between the cycles. There was no correlation between emesis and any of the parameters of quality of life measured. The reliability and validity of nausea ratings are discussed and we suggest that an underreporting of nausea and vomiting might be common.
Key WordsNausea Vomiting Cisplatin Ovarian cancer Metoclopramide Relaxation Nursing Diet Multidisciplinary
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Moynihan C: Testicular cancer. The psychosocial problems of patients and their relatives.6, 477–510 (1987).Google Scholar
- 3.Loescher L, Clark L, Leigh S: The impact of cancer experience on long-term survivors.Onc Nurs Forum 17, 223–229 (1990).Google Scholar
- 5.Hursti T, Fredrikson M, Johansson S, Fürst C: Extinction of conditioned nausea after chemotherapy is associated with personality differences. Submitted for publication (1991).Google Scholar
- 12.Cubeddou L X, Hoffman I S, Fuenmayor N T, Finn A L: Efficacy of ondansetron (GR 38032F) and the role of serotonin in cisplatin-induced nausea and vomiting.NEJM 322 (12), 810–316 (1990).Google Scholar
- 15.Johansson S, Steineck G, Hursti T, Fredrikson M, Fürst C J, Peterson C: Ondansetron: a pilot study of chemotherapyinduced acute and delayed emesis and a comparison with historical controls. Acta Oncol (in press) (1991).Google Scholar