Efficacy of peptide bound m-l-sarcolysin (peptichemio) on melphalan resistant human myeloma cellsIn vitro
- 14 Downloads
Peptichemio (PTC) is a mixture of six synthetic oligopeptides, each containing the alkylating agent m-di(2-chloroethyl) amino-phenylalanine. Freshly obtained myeloma cell infiltrated human bone marrow specimens were in parallel exposed to melphalan and PTC. The cytotoxic effect of the drugs on the myeloma cells of each specimen was measured by the differential staining culture method (DISC). PTC displayed higher cytotoxicity to the myeloma cells as compared to melphalan in all 12 cases analysed. The increase of the cytotoxic effect of PTC compared to melphalan varied between different cases. In melphalan resistant cases the cytotoxic effect of PTC as compared to melphalan was clearly significant(P = 0.001).
Key wordsHuman myeloma cells Melphalan Peptichemio Dye exclusion assay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.De Barbieri A: Peptichemio: a synthesis of pharmacological, biochemical, and biomolecular investigation, in:Proceedings of the Symposium on Peptichemio, Milan,18, 13 (1972).Google Scholar
- 2.Zaniboni A, Simoncini E, Marpicati P, Montini E, Rossi G, Marini G: Peptichemio, teniposide and high- dose dexamethasone: a new active combination for relapsing and refractory multiple myeloma. A pilot study.Inticancer Res 8, 125 (1988).Google Scholar
- 8.Carella A M, Bacigalupo A, Santini G, Giordano D, Damasio E E, Fusco F A, Marmont A M: Peptichemio; a new oncolytic drug in combination with vincristine and prednisolone in the treatment of non- Hodgkin lymphomas.Acta Hematol (Basel) 57, 211 (1977).Google Scholar
- 9.De Bernardi B, Comelli A, Cozutto A, Lamedica G, Mori P G, Massimo L: Peptichemio in advanced neuroblastoma.Cancer Treat Rep 62, 811 (1978).Google Scholar
- 15.Yagi M J, Scanlon K J, Holland J M, Bekesi J G: Cellular transport of PTT. 119. A new chemother- apeutic agent transported by multiple amino acid carrier systems.Proceedings of the American Association of Cancer Res 27, Abstr. 1070 (1986).Google Scholar