Dacarbazine versus dacarbazine-vindesine in disseminated malignant melanoma: A randomized phase II study
- 55 Downloads
In a phase II study 119 patients with disseminated malignant melanoma were randomized to receive treatment with dacarbazine alone or in combination with vindesine. The study was designed to reveal an additive response rate when the drugs were combined. Dacarbazine was given i.v. at 250 mg m−2 per day × V every 4 weeks. In the combination regimen vindesine given at 3 mg m−2 per week was included. One hundred and ten patients were available for evaluation of response. With dacarbazine 4/51 patients obtained a complete remission (8%) and 5/51 patients a partial remission (10%). Overall response rate was 18%. With dacarbazine-vindesine 8/59 patients obtained a complete remission (13%) and 7/59 patients a partial remission (12%). Overall response rate was 25%. The difference in response rates observed between the treatment arms is not statistically significant. Median response duration was 123 days for dacarbazine patients and 171 days for patients receiving dacarbazine-vindesine (difference not statistically significant).
KeywordsMelanoma Complete Remission Clin Oncol Anatomical Site Partial Remission
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Constanzi J J: The chemotherapy of human malignant melanoma, in Constanzi J J (ed):Malignant Melanoma, Vol.1, pp. 259–274. The Hague, Martinus Nijhoff (1983).Google Scholar
- 4.Mastrangelo M J, Baker A R, Katz H R: Cutaneous melanoma, in De Vita V T, Hellman S, Rosenberg S (eds):Cancer. Principles and Practice of Oncology, 2nd edn, pp. 1371–1422. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott (1985).Google Scholar
- 6.Retsas S, Newton K A, Westbury G: Vindesine as a single agent in the treatment of advanced malignant melanoma.Cancer Chemother Pharmac 2, 257 (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.Quagliana J, Stephens R, Baker L,et al.: Vindesine in patients with metastatic malignant melanoma (a SWOG study).Proc Am Soc clin Oncol 1, 182 (1982).Google Scholar
- 12.Retsas S, Athanasiou A, Flynn M D,et al.: Combined chemotherapy with vindesine and DTIC in advanced malignant melanoma.Proc Am Soc clin Oncol 1, 169 (1982).Google Scholar