Advertisement

Medical Oncology and Tumor Pharmacotherapy

, Volume 6, Issue 4, pp 285–289 | Cite as

Dacarbazine versus dacarbazine-vindesine in disseminated malignant melanoma: A randomized phase II study

  • U. Ringborg
  • C. -M. Rudenstam
  • J. Hansson
  • L. Hafström
  • B. Stenstam
  • H. Strander
Original Articles
  • 55 Downloads

Abstract

In a phase II study 119 patients with disseminated malignant melanoma were randomized to receive treatment with dacarbazine alone or in combination with vindesine. The study was designed to reveal an additive response rate when the drugs were combined. Dacarbazine was given i.v. at 250 mg m−2 per day × V every 4 weeks. In the combination regimen vindesine given at 3 mg m−2 per week was included. One hundred and ten patients were available for evaluation of response. With dacarbazine 4/51 patients obtained a complete remission (8%) and 5/51 patients a partial remission (10%). Overall response rate was 18%. With dacarbazine-vindesine 8/59 patients obtained a complete remission (13%) and 7/59 patients a partial remission (12%). Overall response rate was 25%. The difference in response rates observed between the treatment arms is not statistically significant. Median response duration was 123 days for dacarbazine patients and 171 days for patients receiving dacarbazine-vindesine (difference not statistically significant).

Keywords

Melanoma Complete Remission Clin Oncol Anatomical Site Partial Remission 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

References

  1. 1.
    Luce J K: Chemotherapy of malignant melanoma.Cancer 30, 1604 (1972).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  2. 2.
    Comis R L: DTIC (NSC-45388) in malignant melanoma: a perspective.Cancer Treat Rep 60, 165 (1976).PubMedGoogle Scholar
  3. 3.
    Constanzi J J: The chemotherapy of human malignant melanoma, in Constanzi J J (ed):Malignant Melanoma, Vol.1, pp. 259–274. The Hague, Martinus Nijhoff (1983).Google Scholar
  4. 4.
    Mastrangelo M J, Baker A R, Katz H R: Cutaneous melanoma, in De Vita V T, Hellman S, Rosenberg S (eds):Cancer. Principles and Practice of Oncology, 2nd edn, pp. 1371–1422. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott (1985).Google Scholar
  5. 5.
    Retsas S, Peat I, Ashford R,et al.: Updated results of vindesine as a single agent in the treatment of advanced malignant melanoma.Cancer Treat Rev 7, 87 (1980).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  6. 6.
    Retsas S, Newton K A, Westbury G: Vindesine as a single agent in the treatment of advanced malignant melanoma.Cancer Chemother Pharmac 2, 257 (1979).Google Scholar
  7. 7.
    Miller A B, Hoogstraten B, Staquet M,et al.: Reporting results of cancer treatment.Cancer 47, 207 (1981).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  8. 8.
    Peto R, Pike M C, Armitage P,et al.: Design and analyses of randomized clinical trials requiring prolonged observation of each patient. II. Analyses and examples.Br J Cancer 35, 1 (1977).PubMedGoogle Scholar
  9. 9.
    Carmichael J, Atkinson R J, Caiman K C,et al.: A multicenter phase II trial of vindesine in malignant melanoma.Eur J Cancer clin Oncol 18, 1293 (1982).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  10. 10.
    Quagliana J, Stephens R, Baker L,et al.: Vindesine in patients with metastatic malignant melanoma (a SWOG study).Proc Am Soc clin Oncol 1, 182 (1982).Google Scholar
  11. 11.
    Comis R L, Carter F K: Integration of chemotherapy into combined modality therapy of solid tumors. IV. Malignant melanoma.Cancer Treat Rev 1, 285 (1974).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  12. 12.
    Retsas S, Athanasiou A, Flynn M D,et al.: Combined chemotherapy with vindesine and DTIC in advanced malignant melanoma.Proc Am Soc clin Oncol 1, 169 (1982).Google Scholar
  13. 13.
    Vorobiof D A, Sarli R, Falkson G: Combination chemotherapy with dacarbazine and vindesine in the treatment of metastatic malignant melanoma.Cancer Treat Rep 70, 927 (1986).PubMedGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Humana Press Inc. 1989

Authors and Affiliations

  • U. Ringborg
    • 1
  • C. -M. Rudenstam
    • 2
  • J. Hansson
    • 1
  • L. Hafström
    • 2
  • B. Stenstam
    • 3
  • H. Strander
    • 1
  1. 1.Department of General Oncology, RadiumhemmetKarolinska HospitalStockholm
  2. 2.Department of SurgerySahlgren’s HospitalGothenburg
  3. 3.Department of OncologyEskilstuna HospitalSweden

Personalised recommendations