Treatment of small cell lung cancer by eight weeks chemotherapy
- 12 Downloads
Eighty-two patients with small cell lung cancer (SCLC), 32 with limited disease, were treated with alternating chemotherapy. Eight courses were administered at weekly intervals, and responding patients received radiotherapy to sites of bulk disease. Overall response rate was 76.8%. Overall median survival was 265 days, 408 days in patients with limited disease. The median symptom free period after chemotherapy was completed was 123 days. These results are comparable with those in reports of chemotherapy of longer duration and warrant the further investigation of short duration treatment in this disease.
Key wordsSmall cell lung cancer Alternating chemotherapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Souhami R L, Harper P G, Linch D,et al.: High-dose cyclophosphamide with autologous marrow transplantation for small cell carcinoma of the bronchus.Cancer Chemother Pharmac 10, 205 (1983).Google Scholar
- 9.World Health Authority:WHO Handbook for Reporting the Results of Cancer Treatment. WHO Offset Publication No 48. WHO, Geneva (1979).Google Scholar
- 11.Johnson D H, Einhorn L H, Birch R, Vollmer R, Perez C, Krauss S, Omura G, Greco F A: A randomized comparison of high dose versus conventional dose cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin and vincristine for extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer: a phase III trial of the southeastern cancer study group.J clin Oncol 11, 1731 (1987).Google Scholar
- 12.Humblet Y, Symann M, Bosly A, Delaunois L, Francis C, Machiels J, Beauduin M, Doyen C, Weynants P, Longueville J, Prignot J: Late intensification therapy with autologous bone marrow transplantation in selected small-cell carcinoma of the lung: a randomised study.J clin Oncol 5, 1864 (1987).PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Spiro S G, Souhami R L, Ash C M,et al.: Randomised trial of planned versus as required chemotherapy in small cell lung cancer.Lung Cancer 4 (suppl.), A101 (1988).Google Scholar
- 18.Geddes D M, Law K S, Spiro S G,et al.: Quality of life in small cell carcinoma of the lung: a comparison of two chemotherapy regimes using daily diary cards.Lung Cancer 4 (suppl.), A182 (1988).Google Scholar
- 23.Cantwell B M J, Bozzino J M, Corris P, Harris A L: The multidrug resistant phenotype in clinical practice; evaluation of cross resistance to ifosfamide and mesna after VP16-213, doxorubicin and vincristine (VPAV) for small cell lung cancer.Eur J Cancer clin Oncol 24, 123 (1988).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar