Buserelin treatment of advanced prostatic cancer: A phase II study
- 22 Downloads
From August 1986 to September 1988, 76 eligible patients with advanced prostatic carcinoma, measurable or evaluable disease, no previous hormonal treatment, were treated with Buserelin at a dosage of 500 μg every 8 h for 7 days, followed by 400 μg intranasally three times a day. No concomitant antiandrogens were administered. In the 63 evaluable patients (11 patients not yet evaluable because of short treatment time, two lost to follow-up), three complete remissions, 28 partial remissions, 30 stable disease and two progressions were obtained (National Prostatic Cancer Project criteria). Median duration of response was 55+ weeks. Side effects were modest, mostly related to the endocrinological effects of Buserelin. Transient increase in serum testosterone levels was found in 37% of the evaluable patients, but transitory ‘flare-up’ was present in seven patients only. With a median follow-up time of 11.5 months, median survival has not been reached. In conclusion, this study confirmed the activity of Buserelin and the feasibility of its middle-term administration.
Key wordsProstatic carcinoma Hormone treatment Buserelin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Mackintosh F R, Mackintosh C L, Hall S W: Toxicity of conventional hormonal therapy (CHT) for metastatic prostatic cancer (MPC).Proc ASCO 7, 123 (1988).Google Scholar
- 7.Benedetti J, Yean K, Young L:BMDP Statistical Software, pp. 557–575. Berkeley, University of California Press (1983).Google Scholar
- 8.Presant C A, Soloway M S, Klioze S S, Yakabow A, Presant S N, Mendez R G, Kennedy P S, Wyrs M R, Naessig V L, Todd B, Wiseman C L, Bouzaglou A, Tanenbaum B, Eventov D: Buserelin treatment of advanced prostatic carcinoma. Long-term follow-up of antitumor responses and improved quality of life.Cancer 59, 1713 (1987).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Waxman J H, Sandow J, Man A, Barnett M J, Hendry W F, Besser G M, Oliver R T D, Magill I J: The first use of depot Buserelin for advanced prostatic carcinoma.Cancer Chemother Pharmac 18, 174 (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.Vogelzang N, Citrin D, Chodak G, Anderson T, Lawrence H J, Scott M, Gau T for the Zoladex prostate study group: Phase III randomized trials of depot Zoladex and standard hormonal therapy in advanced prostate cancer.Proc ASCO 7, 119 (1988).Google Scholar