The Signaling Pathways of Erythropoietin and Interferon-γ Differ in Preventing the Apoptosis of Mature Erythroid Progenitor Cells
- 77 Downloads
Interferon (IFN)-γ is a survival factor for mature erythroid progenitor cells. To elucidate related survival mechanisms, we compared the role of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3-kinase) in the survival signals of IFN-γ and erythropoietin (EPO). Human erythroid colony-forming cells (ECFCs) purified from peripheral blood were used, and Ly294002 was used as a PI3-kinase inhibitor. Treating ECFCs with a high concentration of Ly294002 (50 µmol/L) in the presence of EPO and/or IFN-γ reduced cell viability by inducing apoptosis. However, treating cells with a lower concentration of Ly294002 (10 µmol/L) did not affect the antiapoptotic function of IFN-γ and abolished the antiapoptotic effect of EPO. Adding IFN-γ or EPO induced Bcl-x expression in ECFCs, as determined by Western blotting, and expression was suppressed in the presence of Ly294002. We also examined the phosphorylation of the protein kinase Akt, the downstream target of PI3-kinase. EPO stimulation significantly increased the level of Akt phosphorylation, but IFN-γ did not. These results suggest that IFN-γ plays a role in preventing the apoptosis of erythroid progenitor cells by affecting Bcl-x expression, thereby reducing the disruption of the mitochondrial transmembrane potential via PI3-kinase pathways that are related to but distinct from the EPO pathway.
Key wordsErythroid progenitor cells IFN-γ Apoptosis PI3-kinase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 15.Sen GC, Lengyel P. The interferon system: a bird’s eye view of its biochemistry.J Biol Chem. 1992;267:5017–5020.Google Scholar
- 16.Dai C, Krantz SB. Interferon gamma induces upregulation and activation of caspases 1, 3, and 8 to produce apoptosis in human erythroid progenitor cells.Blood. 1999;93:3309–3316.Google Scholar
- 17.Maciejewski J, Selleri C, Anderson S, Young NS. Fas antigen expression on CD34+ human marrow cells is induced by interferonγ and tumor necrosis factorα and potentiates cytokine-mediated hematopoietic suppression in vitro.Blood. 1995;85:3183–3190.Google Scholar
- 19.Dai CH, Price JO, Brunner T, Krantz SB. Fas ligand is present in human erythroid colony-forming cells and interacts with Fas induced by interferon -y to produce erythroid cell apoptosis.Blood. 1998;91:1235–1242.Google Scholar
- 32.Coffer PJ, Schweizer RC, Dubois GR, Maikoe T, Lammers JWJ, Koendermann L. Analysis of signal transduction pathways in human eosinophils activated by chemoattractants and the T-helper 2-derived cytokines interleukin-4 and interleukin-5.Blood. 1998;91:2547–2557.Google Scholar