O-Acetyljervine: A new β-adrenoceptor agonist fromVeratrum album
Intravenous administration ofO-acetyljervine (an alkaloid from Vertrum album) produced a dose-dependent (10–100 μg/kg) fall in blood pressure and tachycardia in anaesthetized normotensive rats. Pretreatment of animals with propranolol (1 mg/kg) abolished these cardiovascular responses ofO-acetyljervine similar to that of isoprenaline (1 μ/kg). In isolated tissue experiments,O-acetyljervine (10–100 μ/ml) produced a dose-dependent relaxation of phenylephrine-induced contraction of the rabbit aorta. In guinea-pig spontaneously beating atria, it caused positive inotropic and chronotropic responses in a dose-dependent fashion (10–100 μ/ml). These responses were abolished in the presence of propranolol (1 μg/ml) similar to that of isoprenaline. These results indicate thatO-acetyljervine is a adrenoceptor stimulant (β1 and β2) like isoprenaline.
Key wordsO-acetyljervine Veratrum album β-adrenoceptor agonist Hypotensive Cardiac stimulant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arunlakshana, O. and Schild, H. O. Some quantitative uses of drug antagonists.Br. J. Pharmacol., 45, 519–524, (1959).Google Scholar
- Gilani, A. H. Comparison of the anticholinergic actions of gallamine and himbacine.Rev. Pharm. Clin. Exp., 6, 23–27 (1989).Google Scholar
- Hoffman, B. B. and Lefkowitz, R. J., Catachloamines and sympathomimetic drugs. In.The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, Ed. by Gilman, A. G., Rall, T. W., Nies, A. S. and Taylor, P., pp. 187–220, (1990a), 8th Edn. (Maxwall MacMillan International Edition). Pregamen Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Hoffman, B. B., Lefkowitz, R. J. Adrenergic receptor antagonist. In:The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, Ed. by Gilman, A. G., Rall, T. W., Nies, A. S. and Taylor, P., pp. 221–243, (1990b) 8th Edn. (Maxwall MacMillan International Edition). Pregamen Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Van Rossum, J. M. Cumulative dose-response curves II: Techniques for the making of dose-response curves in isolated organs and the evaluation of drug parameters.Acta. Int. Pharmacodyn., 143, 299–330 (1963).Google Scholar