Hardware assisted fast volume rendering with boundary enhancement
In this paper, a new volume rendering method with boundary enhancement is presented. The boundary is extracted and represented by surfaces explicitly. Then, using 3D texture mapping and graphics acceleration hardware, the volume data can be rendered with controllable boundary shading effect almost in real time. Test shows that this method is 4–5 times faster than the previous methods. Moreover, it can also be extended to render the surfaces and the volumetric data together interactively.
KeywordsVolume rendering boundary enhancement 3D texture mapping hardware assisted
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lacroute P, Levoy M. Fast volume rending using a sheat-warp factorization of the viewing transformation.Computer Graphics, 1994, 28(4): 451–458.Google Scholar
- Wilhelms J, Gelder A V. A coherent projection approach for direct volume rendering.Computer Graphics, 1994, 28(4): 275–284.Google Scholar
- Yagel R. Towards real time volume rendering. InProc Graphicon’96, Saint Petersburg, Russia, 1996, pp.230–241.Google Scholar
- Cabral B, Cam N, Foran J. Accelerated volume rendering and tomographic reconstruction using texture mapping hardware. InProc. ACM Symposium on Volume Visualization, 1994, pp.91–97.Google Scholar
- Cullip T J, Neumann U. Accelerating volume reconstruction with 3D texture hardware. University of North Carolina Technical Report, UNC_93_027, 1993.Google Scholar
- Fraster R. Interactive volume rendering using avanced graphics architectures. http://www.sgi.com, 1995.Google Scholar
- Gelder A V, Kim K. Direct volume rendering with shading via 3D textures. InProc. ACM Symposium on Volume Visualization, 1996, pp.23–30.Google Scholar
- Guan S Y, Lipes R. Innovative volume rendering using 3D texture mapping. InSPIE Medical Imaging 1994: Image Captures, Formatting and Display, SPIE 2164, 1994.Google Scholar
- Teschner M, Henn C. Texture mapping in technical, scientific and engineering visualization. http://www.sgi.com, 1995.Google Scholar
- Wilson O, Gelder A V, Wilhelms J. Direct volume rendering via 3D textures. University of California Technical Report, UCSC_CRL_94_19, 1994.Google Scholar
- Moore, D, Warren J. Compact isocontours from sampled data. In Graphics Gems III, Academic Press, New York, 1992, pp.23–28.Google Scholar