A partitioning selection algorithm on multiprocessors
- 23 Downloads
The so-called (m, n) selection, problem is the problem of selecting them smallest (or largest) elements fromn given numbers (n>m). With the development of parallel computers, much attention has been paid to the design of efficient algorithms of (m, n) problem for these machines. The parallel selection algorithm has been successful on networks, but seldom studied on the multiprocessing systems. This paper, based on a partitioning approach, proposes a partitioning algorithm of selection on multiprocessors using Valiant’s merging and sorting schemes. By means of this algorithm, (m, n) selection problem can be completed in paralleln/2 processors in timeO (lognloglogm-log(n/m)loglog(n/m))1).
KeywordsSelection Algorithm Selection Problem Selection Network MINs Sequence Merging Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- V.E. Alekseyev, Sorting algorithms with minimum memoryKibernetika,5:5(1969), 99–103.Google Scholar
- G.L. Chen, Well-balanced partitioning selection network (in Chinese),Computer Research and Development,21:11(1984), 9–21.Google Scholar
- G.L. Chen and H. Shen Bitonic selection network and bitonic selection algorithm on multiprocessors, Submitted to Journal of computer science and technology for publication.Google Scholar
- K.E. Batcher, Sorting networks and their applications, Proc. 1968, SJCC, AFIPS Press.,32(1968), 307–314.Google Scholar
- G.L. Chen and Z.L. Wang, A merging approach to the parallel selection algorithm (in Chinese),Chinese Journal of Computers,11:1(1988), 14–21.Google Scholar
- G.L. Chen and J. Liu, A partitioning selection algorithm on multiprocessors (in Chinese), Submitted to Computer Research and Development for publication.Google Scholar