The impact of option listing on the price volatility and trading volume of underlying OTC stocks
This paper examines the impact of an initial option listing on the price volatility and trading volume of underlying OTC stocks. The sample is divided by market value to determine whether larger firms are impacted differently by option listing than smaller firms. We find relative trading volume increases significantly, with the small and medium market value firms showing the largest gain. However, the tests show no evidence of changes in price volatility following option listing. No significant changes were found in either the firms' betas or variance following option initiation. The results provide further evidence that option listing does not destabilize the market for the underlying stock.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Branch, Ben, and Joseph E. Finnerty. “The Impact of Option Listing on the Price and Volume of the Underlying Stock.”Financial Review (Spring 1981): 1–15.Google Scholar
- Edelman, Richard B., and H. Kent Baker. “Liquidity and Stock Exchange Listing.”Financial Review (May 1990): 231–249.Google Scholar
- Grammatikos, Theoharry, andGeorge J. Papaioannou. “Market Reaction to NYSE Listings: Tests of the Marketability Gains Hypothesis.”Journal of Financial Research 9(3) (Fall 1986): 215–227.Google Scholar
- Kim, Wi Saeng, and Colin M. Young. “The Effect of Traded Option Introduction on Shareholder Wealth.”Journal of Financial Research (Summer 1991): 141–153.Google Scholar
- Officer, Dennis T., and Gary L. Trennepohl. “Prince Behavior of Corporate Equities Near Option Expiration Dates.”Financial Management (Summer 1981): 75–80.Google Scholar
- Rao, Ramesh P., Niranjan Tripathy, andWilliam P. Dukes. “Dealer Bid-Ask Spreads and Options Trading on Over-the-Counter Stocks.”Journal of Financial Research 14 (Winter 1991): 317–325.Google Scholar
- Securities and Exchange Commission. “Report on the Special Study of the Options Market to the Securities and Exchange Commission.” Washington, DC. GPO, December 22, 1979.Google Scholar
- Whiteside, Mary M., William P. Dukes, and Patrick M. Dunne. “Short Term Impact of Option Trading on Underlying Securities.”Journal of Financial Research (Winter 1983): 313–321.Google Scholar