Argyripnus electronus, a new sternoptychid fish from the Sala y Gomez submarine ridge
- 16 Downloads
Argyripnus electronus sp. nov. collected from the Sala y Gomez submarine ridge in the eastern South Pacific is most similar toA. atlanticus Maul from the Atlantic Ocean and unnamedArgyripnus sp. of Yamamoto (1982) from the Kyushu-Palau ridge. It differs from both these species in having much more photophores in VAV+AC and IC series, in lower body depth and in other characters.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Borodulina, O. D. 1981. New species of the genusPolyipnus—P. inermis Borodulina (Sternoptychidae) from the southeastern Pacific. Voprosy Ikhtiol., 21(3): 556–558. (In Russian.)Google Scholar
- Gilbert, C. H. and F. Cramer. 1897. Report on the fishes dredged in deep-water near the Hawaiian Islands, with descriptions and figures of twenty-three new species. Proc. U.S. Nat. Mus., 51(2149): 135–214.Google Scholar
- Grey, M. 1961. Fishes killed by the 1950 eruption of Mauna Loa. Part I. Gonostomatidae. Pac. Sci., 15(3): 462–476.Google Scholar
- Grey, M. 1964. Family Gonostomatidae. Pages 78–240in Fishes of the western North Atlantic, Part 4. Mem. Sears Found. Mar. Res., No. 1.Google Scholar
- Leviton, A. E., R. H. Gibbs, Jr., E. Heal and C. E. Dawson. 1985. Standards in herpetology and ichthyology: Parts 1, 2 and 3. Standard symbolic codes for institutional resource collections in herpetology and ichthyology. Copeia, 1985(3): 802–832.Google Scholar
- McCulloch, A. R. 1926. Report on some fishes obtained by the F. I. S. “Endeavour” on the coasts of Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, south and southwestern Australia. Part V. Biol. Res. Fish. Exp. F. I. S. “Endeavour” 1909–14, 5(4): 157–216.Google Scholar
- Maul, G. E. 1952. Monografia des Peixes do Museu Municipal do Funchal. Additions to previously revised families. Bol. Mus. municip. Funchal, 6(16): 51–62.Google Scholar
- Parin, N. V. 1990. Preliminary review of fish fauna of the Nazca band Sala y Gomez submarine ridges (southern east Pacific Ocean). Trudy Inst. Okeanol., 125: 6–36. (In Russian.)Google Scholar
- Struhsaker, P. 1973.Argyripnus brocki, a new species of stomiatoid fish from Hawaii, with observations onA. ephippiatus andA. iridescens. Fish. Bull., 71(3): 827–836.Google Scholar
- Yamamoto, E. 1982.Argyripnus sp. Pages 74–75, 325in O. Okamura, K. Amaoka and F. Mitani, eds. Fishes of the Kyushu-Palau Ridge and Tosa Bay. Japan Fish. Res. Cons. Assoc, Tokyo.Google Scholar