Descriptions of operators in quantum mechanics
- 12 Downloads
The problem of expressing a general dynamical variable in quantum mechanics as a function of a primitive set of operators is studied from several points of view. In the context of the Heisenberg commutation relation, the Weyl representation for operators and a new Fourier-Mellin representation are related to the Heisenberg group and the groupSL(2,R) respectively. The description of unitary transformations via generating functions is analysed in detail. The relation between functions and ordered functions of noncommuting operators is discussed, and results closely paralleling classical results are obtained.
KeywordsHeisenberg group Weyl representation Fourier-Mellin representation for operators functions of operators
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fano U and Racah G 1959Irreducible tensorial sets (New York: Academic Press)Google Scholar
- Gel’fand I M, Graev M I and Vilenkin N Ya 1966Generalised functions (New York: Academic Press) Vol. 5Google Scholar
- Klauder J R and Sudarshan E C G 1968Fundamentals of quantum optics (New York: W A Benjamin)Google Scholar
- de Shalit A and Talmi I 1963Nuclear shell theory (New York and London: Academic Press)Google Scholar
- Whittaker E T 1927A treatise on the analytical dynamics of particles and rigid bodies’ 3rd ed. (Cambridge: University Press)Google Scholar