Liaoxiornis delicatus gen. et sp. nov., the smallest Mesozoic bird
- 67 Downloads
Recently, a very small and complete bird specimen was collected from theConfuciusornis-bearing Yixian. Formation. This finding represents a new kind of Mesozoic bird, namedLiaoxiornis delicatus. It is characterized by a short skull with teeth, a long neck and a very small sternum with only posterior process; the humeral head is not internally curved, and the hindlimbs are longer than the forelimbs.Liaoxiornis delicatus is not only much smaller thanConfuciusomis, but also smaller thanCathayomis and other early Cretaceous birds. It is the smallest bird known from Mesozoic deposit.Liaoxiornis provides new evidence indicating that the early adaptive radiation of birds is complicated.
KeywordsMesozoic early bird evdution of birds
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hou, L. H.,Mesozoic Birds of China, Nantou County: Ferlg-Huang-Ku Bird Park of Taiwan Provincial Government, 1997, 1–228.Google Scholar
- 3.Zhou Z. H., The discovery of early Cretaceous bids in China,Courer Forschungsinstitus Senckenberg, 1995, 181: 9.Google Scholar
- 5.Hou, L. H., Martin, L., Zhou, Z. H.et al., Archaeopteryx to opposite birds-missing link from the Mesozoic of China,Vert. PalAsiat., 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.Feduccia, A.,The Origin and Evolution of Birds, New Haven: Yale University Press, 1996:Google Scholar
- 7.Ostrom, J. H., On the origin of birds and avian flight,Major Features of Vertebrate Evolution, Paleontological Society, Short Courses in Paleontology, 1994(7): 160.Google Scholar