Analysis of the influence of elastic deformation on the electrode potential of a metal cylinder in a medium
We propose a new efficient procedure for the determination of the shift of the electrode potential on the boundary of an active medium with the surface of a stretched metal cylinder and determine the distributions of the electric potentials inside the cylinder, over its surface, and in the medium. We also establish the formulas for the evaluation of the electrode potential depending on the level of mechanical stresses and compute its values for copper and steel specimens.
KeywordsElectric Potential Electrode Potential Intermediate Layer Steel Specimen Electric Permittivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. I. Antropov,Theoretical Electrochemistry [in Russian], Vysshaya Shkola, Moscow (1984).Google Scholar
- 2.V. V. Skorchelletti,Theoretical Electrochemistry [in Russian], Khimiya, Leningrad (1969).Google Scholar
- 3.Ya. I. Burak, B. P. Halapats, and B. M. Hnidets,Physicomechanical Processes in Electrically Conducting Bodies [in Ukrainian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1978).Google Scholar
- 4.N. I. Muskhelishvili,Some Basic Problems of the Mathematical Theory of Elasticity [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1966).Google Scholar
- 5.M. H. Stashchuk, B. I. Kolodii, and V. H. Horopats'kyi, “Analytic investigation of the influence of the stress-strain state on the behavior of the electrode potential of a metal surface along its boundary with aggressive media,” in:Mechanics and Physics of Building Materials and Structures [in Ukrainian], Kamenyar, L'viv (1998), pp. 548–554.Google Scholar
- 6.A. N. Tikhonov and A. A. Samarskii,Equations of Mathematical Physics [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1977).Google Scholar
- 7.W. R. Smythe,Statics and Dynamic Electricity, New York (1950).Google Scholar
- 8.V. M. Galitskii and V. M. Ermachenko,Macroscopic Electrodynamics [in Russian], Vysshaya Shkola, Moscow (1988).Google Scholar
- 9.M. Abramowitz and I. A. Stegun (editors),Handbook of Mathematical Functions with Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables, National Bureau of Standards, Appl. Math., Ser. 55 (1964).Google Scholar
- 10.H. Kuchling,Physik, VEB Fachbuchverlag, Leipzig (1980).Google Scholar
- 11.M. H. Stashchuk, “Evaluation of the electrode potentials and corrosion currents along the surface of stress concentrators,” in V. V. Panasyuk (editor),Fracture Mechanics of Materials and Strength of Structures [in Ukrainian], Vol. 2, Kamenyar, L'viv (1999), pp. 213–219.Google Scholar
- 12.M. H. Stashchuk,Problems of Mechanics of Elastic Bodies with Cracklike Defects [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1993).Google Scholar