A stable epithelial-like pig kidney cell strain has been established. This strain has been carried through more than 300 serial passages, has remained free of microbial and viral contaminants, and has retained a near diploid number of chromosomes. Attempts to produce tumors with these cells in immunosuppressed laboratory animals have been uniformly negative. The cells have grown rapidly in monolayer cultures with a split ratio of 1 to 15 at weekly intervals, but have failed to proliferate in suspension cultures. A subline adapted to growth on serum-free medium 199 has been carried through 145 passages on this medium. Several unusual morphologic features have been observed in these cultures including three-dimensional “domelike” structures. These cells have been found susceptible to some viruses and have been especially useful for viruses of domestic animals. LLC-PK1 cells have produced significant levels of plasminogen activator.
Key wordspig kidney cells dome-like structures chemically defined media plasminogen activator virus susceptibility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Harris, M. Personal communication. PK15 is a strain of cells cloned by Dr. Harris from a parent strain of pig kidney cells obtained from Dr. E. Stice, Cutter Laboratories.Google Scholar
- 3.Clapman, W. G., and I. A. Ramshaw. 1971. Growth of the IB-RS-2 pig kidney cell line in suspension cultures and its susceptibility to foot and mouth disease virus. Appl. Microbiol. 22: 1–5.Google Scholar
- 7.Younger, J. S. 1954. Monolayer tissue cultures. I. Preparation and standardization of suspensions of trypsin-dispersed monkey kidney cells. Proc Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 85: 202–205.Google Scholar
- 13.Moorhead, P. S., and P. C. Nowell. 1964. Chromosome cytology. In: H. N. Eisen (Ed.),Methods in Medical Research. Volume 10. Yearbook Medical Publications, Chicago, pp. 310–322.Google Scholar
- 16.Auersperg, N. 1969. Histogenetic behaviour of tumors. I. Morphologic variations in vitro and in vivo of two related human carcinoma cell lines.Google Scholar
- 18.McFee, A. F. 1967. In: T. C. Hsu and K. Benirschke (Eds.),An Atlas of Mammalian Chromosomes. Volume 1, Folio 38. Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- 26.Hull, R. N., and R. M. Huseby. 1975. Enhanced production of plasminogen activator. U. S. Patent No. 3904480.Google Scholar