Martingales valued in certain subspaces ofL 1
- 124 Downloads
A Banach subspaceE ofL 1 is constructed such thatE fails the Radon-Nikodym property, yetE has no bounded dyadicδ-tree for anyδ>0. The unit ball ofE is also relatively compact in the topology of convergence in probability, which implies thatE has the strong Schur property. The construction uses martingales and probabilistic techniques.
KeywordsUnit Ball Independent Random Variable Difference Sequence Borel Subset Finite Dimensional Subspace
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Bourgain,Un espace non Radon-Nikodym sans arbre diadique, Seminaire d’Analyse Fonctionnelle 1978–79, Ecole Polytechnique, Palaiseau.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Bourgain,A non-dentable set without the RN property, Studia Math. (to appear).Google Scholar
- 3.J. Bourgain and H. P. Rosenthal,Geometrical implications of certain finite dimensional decompositions, to appear.Google Scholar
- 8.N. T. Peck,An L 0-compact convex set in L1 with no extreme points, preliminary report.Google Scholar
- 9.J. W. Roberts,Compact convex sets with no extreme points in the spacesLp ([0, 1]), 0≦p<1, to appear.Google Scholar
- 11.H. P. Rosenthal,A subsequence splitting result for L 1 -bounded sequences of random variables, in preparation.Google Scholar