Effect of crystal growth on the effectiveness of fine purification through counterflow melt crystallization
A method is proposed for calculating the axial impurity profile in a crystallization column and assessing the effectiveness of the purification of a substance via counterflow melt crystallization. The method takes into account the combined effect of diffusion and crystallization processes. An approximate equation for the separation factor is derived. The results obtained for a few systems agree well with experiment.
KeywordsCrystallization Thiophene Stilbene Separation Factor Impurity Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Devyatykh, G.G., Elliev, Yu.E. and Gur’yanov, A.N., Impurity Distribution along the Column in Fine Purification by Counterflow Melt Crystallization,Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1972, vol. 204, no. 4, pp. 917–919.Google Scholar
- 2.Elliev, Yu.E. and Gur’yanov, A.N., Impurity Distribution and Variation in Crystal Size along the Column in Fine Purification by Counterflow Melt Crystallization, inPoluchenie i analiz veshchestv osoboi chistoty (Preparation and Analysis of High-Purity Substances), Gorki, 1974, pp. 77–82.Google Scholar
- 3.Krylov, V.A., Fine Purification of Arsenic Trichloride by Counterflow Melt Crystallization,Cand. Sci. (Chem.) Dissertation, Gorki: Gorki State Univ., 1974.Google Scholar
- 4.Agliulov, N.Kh., Zelyaev, I.A., Zueva, M.V.,et al., Fine Purification of Group III-V Chlorides by Counterflow Melt Crystallization, inPoluchenie i analiz veshchestv osoboi chistoty (Preparation and Analysis of High-Purity Substances), Gorki, 1974, pp. 104–111.Google Scholar
- 5.Rodchenkov, V.I., Preparation of Extrapure Ammonia,Cand. Sci. (Chem.) Dissertation, Gorki: Gorki State Univ., 1977.Google Scholar
- 6.Devyatykh, G.G. and Churbanov, M.F., Fine Purification of Sulfur by Counterflow Crystallization,Zh. Prikl. Khim. (Leningrad), 1968, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 2392–2398.Google Scholar
- 7.Devyatykh, G.G., On the Theory of Processes in Counterflow Crystallization Columns,Zh. Fiz. Khim., 1967, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 957–961.Google Scholar
- 8.Devyatykh, G.G., Dozorov, V.A., Elliev, Yu.E., and Sibiryakova, L.L., Analysis of Processes in Counterflow Crystallization Columns Operating without Sampling,Teor. Osn. Khim. Tekhnol., 1971, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 663–667.Google Scholar
- 9.Devyatykh, G.G. and Elliev, Yu.E.,Vvedenie v teoriyu glubokoi ochistki veshchestv (Introduction to the Theory of Fine Purification), Moscow: Nauka, 1981.Google Scholar
- 10.Devyatykh, G.G., Elliev, Yu.E., Kirillov, Yu.P, and Malyshev, A.Yu., Diffusion-Crystallization Model of Fine Purification in Counterflow Crystallization Columns,Dokl. Akad. Nauk, 1999, vol. 367, no. 3, pp. 371–375.Google Scholar
- 11.Vorotyntsev, V.M. and Elliev, Yu.E., Impurity Distribution along the Counterflow Crystallization Column for Fine Purification,Tr. Khim. Khim. Tekhnol, 1975, no. 1, pp. 8–10.Google Scholar
- 12.Higher Transcendental Functions (Bateman Manuscript Project), Erdelyi, A., Ed., New York: McGraw-Hill, 1953, vol. 1. Translated under the titleVysshie transtsendentnye funktsii. Gipergeometricheskaya funktsiya. Funktsii Lezhandra, Moscow: Nauka, 1965, vol. 1.Google Scholar