Kinetics and mechanism of water catalytic oxidation by a Ru3+(bpy)3 complex in the presence of colloidal cobalt hydroxide
- 70 Downloads
Kinetics of the catalytic oxidation of water to molecular oxygen by a tris(bipyridyl) Ru(III) complex is studied in the presence of colloidal cobalt hydroxide stabilized by starch. Oxidant consumption follows the first-order rate law with respect to the oxidant concentration. The dependence of the apparent rate constant of this process on the catalyst concentration, initial oxidant concentration, and initial concentration of its reduced form was determined. The dependence of the oxygen yield on H+ at pH 7–11 and a catalyst concentration of 10-7-10-3 mol1 is studied. An intermediate product of the reaction was found, which is probably a bridged peroxo complex of cobalt. The kinetic scheme and mechanism of the reaction is proposed, which agree with experimental observations.
KeywordsKinetic Curf Borate Buffer Catalyst Concentration Bipyridyl Ruthenium Complex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Moravskii, A.P., Khannanov, N.K., Khramov, A.V.,et al., Khim. Fiz., 1984, vol. 3, no. 11, p. 1584.Google Scholar
- 4.Elizarova, G.L., Gerasimov, O.V., Matvienko, G.L.,et al.,Izv. Sib. Otd. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim. Nauk, 1990, no. 3, p. 94.Google Scholar
- 5.Gerasimov, O.V.,Cand. Sci. (Chem.) Dissertation, Novosibirsk: Inst. of Catalysis, 1988.Google Scholar
- 7.Parmon, V.N., Elizarova, G.L., and Zhidomirov, G.M.,11th Int. Conf. on Photochemical Conversion and Storage of Solar Energy (IPS-11), Bangolore, 1996, p. 33.Google Scholar
- 8.Elizarova, G.L., Matvienko, L.G., Pestunova, O.P., and Parmon, V.N.,Kinet. KataL, 1994, vol. 35, no. 3, p. 362.Google Scholar
- 9.Lur’e, Yu.Yu.,Spravochnik po analiticheskoi khimii (Handbook on Analytical Chemistry), Moscow: Mir, 1969.Google Scholar
- 13.Elizarova, G.L., Matvienko, L.G., Taran, O.P.,et al., Kinet. Katal, 1992, vol. 33, no. 4, p. 898.Google Scholar
- 14.Khannanov, N.K. and Shafirovich, V.Ya.,Kinet. Katal, 1981, vol. 22, no. l,p. 248.Google Scholar
- 15.Khannanov, N.K., Khramov, A.V., Moravskii, A.P., and Shafirovich, V.Ya.,Kinet. Katal, 1983, vol. 24, no. 4, p. 858.Google Scholar
- 16.Bratushko, Yu.L,Koordinatsionnye soedineniya 3d-perekhodnykh metallov s molekulyamym kislorodom (Coordination Compounds of3d Transition Metals with Molecular Oxygen), Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 1987.Google Scholar
- 20.Gerasimov, O.V., Elizarova, G.L., and Parmon, V.N.,Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 1988, no. 6, p. 1243.Google Scholar