Therapeutic interventions in cerebral palsy
- 2.1k Downloads
Various therapeutic interventions have been used in the management of children with cerebral palsy. Traditional physiotherapy and occupational therapy are widely used interventions and have been shown to be of benefit in the treatment of cerebral palsy. Evidence in support of the effectiveness of the neurodevelopmental treatment is equivocal at best. There is evidence to support the use and effectiveness of neuromuscular electrical stimulation in children with cerebral palsy. The effectiveness of many other interventions used in the treatment of cerebral palsy has not been clearly established based on well-controlled trials. These include: sensory integration, body-weight support treadmill training, conductive education, constraint-induced therapy, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, and the Vojta method. This article provides an overview of salient aspects of popular interventions used in the management of children with cerebral palsy.
Key wordsPhysiotherapy Occupational therapy Neurodevelopmental treatment Sensory integration Hippotherapy Electrical stimulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Mathews DJ, Wilson P. Cerebral palsy. In Monnar G, Alexander MA eds.Pediatric Rehabilitation, 3rd edn. Philadelphia, USA; Hanley and Belfus, 1999; 193–218.Google Scholar
- 6.Mayston M. Physiotherapy management in cerebral palsy: an update on treatment approaches.Clinics in Developmental Medicine 2004; 161: 147–160.Google Scholar
- 7.Taggart P, Aguilar C. Therapeutic exercise. In Molnar G, Alexander MA eds.Pediatric Rehabilitation, 3rd edn. Philadelphia, USA; Hanley and Belfus, 1999; 125–138,.Google Scholar
- 21.Richards CL, Malouin F, Dumas Fet al. Early and intensive treadmill locomotor training for young children with cerebral palsy: A feasibility study.Pedatr Phys Ther 1997; 9: 158–165.Google Scholar
- 26.Echols K, DeLuca SC, Ramey SLet al. Constraint-induced movement therapy versus traditional therapy services for young children with CP.Dev Med Child Neurolo Suppl 2002; 91: 44.Google Scholar
- 28.Cherng R, Liao H, Leung HWCet al. The effectiveness of therapeutic horseback riding in children with spastic CP.Adapt Phys Activ Q 2004; 21: 103–121.Google Scholar
- 32.McDonagh M, Carson S, Ash Jet al. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for brain injury, cerebral palsy, and stroke.Evid Rep Technol Assess (Summ). 2003; 85: 1–6.Google Scholar