Using mechanical processing in recycling printed wiring boards
tAs the number of electronic products in use increases, so does the need to dispose of defective and obsolete equipment, including printed circuit boards. The utilization of mechanical processing in recycling this type of waste enables recovery of the metals and allows components to be separated for proper waste disposal. Mechanical processing allows the recovery of 80% of the metals in printed circuit boards, especially copper, which represents approximately 75% of the metallic fraction.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.E. Hoffmann, “Recovery of Precious Metals from Electronic Scrap,”JOM, 44 (6) (1992), pp. 43–48.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Bernardes et al., “Recycling of Printed Circuit Boards by Melting with Oxidising/Reducing Top Blowing Process” (Paper presented at the TMS Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, 9–13 February 1997).Google Scholar
- 3.N. Felix and C. Riet, “Recycling of Electronic Scrap,”Proc. Precious Metals Conf. (1994), pp. 159–169.Google Scholar
- 4.K.L. Sandvik et al., ”Development of a Mineral Processing Modelling Program as a Tool for Optimal Decisions in Waste Treatment,”REWAS 1999, vol. 1 (Warrendale, PA: TMS, 1999), pp. 55–64.Google Scholar
- 5.E. Larrauri, R. Miguel, and M.J. Suarez, “Recovery, Recycling and Reuse of Packing Materials from Post Consumer Wastes,” in Ref. 4, pp. 75–84.Google Scholar
- 6.M.J. Noakes, “Using Mineral Processing Technologies for the Treatment of Hazardous Substances,” in Ref. 4, pp. 27–36.Google Scholar
- 7.J.A.S. Tenório, D.C. Oliveira, and A.P. Chaves, “Carbon-Zinc Batteries Treatment by Ore Processing Methods,”REWAS 1999, vol. 2 (Warrendale, PA: TMS, 1999), pp. 1153–1160.Google Scholar
- 9.J.J. Peirce, R.F. Weiner, and P.A. Vesilind,Environmental Pollution and Control, 4th ed. (Stoneham, MA: Butterworth-Heinemann, 1998).Google Scholar
- 10.I. Saito, “Recovery of Valuable Metals from Printed Wiring Board Wastes,”Trans. Mater. Res. Soc. Jpn., 18A (1994), pp. 207–210.Google Scholar
- 11.J.A.S. Tenório, R.P. Menetti, and A.P. Chaves, “Production of Non-Ferrous Metallic Concentrates from Electronic Scrap,”EPD Congress, 1997, ed. B. Mishra (Warrendale, PA: TMS, 1997), pp. 505–509.Google Scholar
- 12.P.C. Hayes,Process Principles in Minerals and Materials Production (Hayes Publishing Co., 1993).Google Scholar