Providing lubricity in food fat systems
- 91 Downloads
Lubricity, in particular mouthfeel, is an important factor in production of vegetable oil bases for food product formulations. Certain functional characteristics are necessary for good texture at various temperatures. These characteristics are dependent on degree of unsaturation, fatty acid distribution, and degree of geometrical isomerization during processing. Proper selectivity and activity of hydrogenation catalysts used in hardening of the oils are essential. Sufficient solid fat content must be balanced by necessary oxid ative stability. Products discussed include salad oils and their formulations in pourable and spoonable salad dressings, mayonnaises, frying oils, imitation dairy products, margarines and bakery shortenings. Past, present and future industry technology will be evaluated for each type of food fat product. Customer needs have greatly affected the course of research in this area.
KeywordsCocoa Butter Frying Temperature Triglyceride Composition Proper Selectivity Smoke Point
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Supran, M.K. (ed.), Lipids as a Source of Flavor ACS Sympo- sium, August 1977.Google Scholar
- 2.Mattil, K.F., in Bailey’s Industrial Oil and Fat Products, edited by D. Swern, 3rd edn., Wiley Interscience, New York, 1964, pp. 249–388.Google Scholar
- 3.Fats in the Diet, A Scientific Status Summary by the Institute of Food Technologists’ Expert Panel on Food Safety and Nutrition, December 1981.Google Scholar
- 4.Wiedermann, L.H.JAOCS 55:823 (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.Brignoli, CA., J. Am. Diet Assoc. 68:224 (1976).Google Scholar
- 8.Latondress, E.G., in Handbook of Soy Oil Processing and Utilization, edited by D.R. Erickson, E.H Pryde, O.L. Brekke T.L. Mounts and R.A. Falb, ASA, AOCS Monograph no. 8 AOCS, Champaign, IL, 1980.Google Scholar
- 9.BFMIRA, Survey of the Literature on the Changes in Frying Oils with Special Reference to Foaming, Science and Tech- nology Survey no. 114, Leatherhead, Surrey, England, 1979.Google Scholar
- 10.Rock, S.P., JAOCS 41:228 (1964).Google Scholar