The complexity of deterministic PRAM simulation on distributed memory machines
- 40 Downloads
In this paper we present lower and upper bounds for the deterministic simulation of a Parallel Random Access Machine (PRAM) withn processors andm variables on a Distributed Memory Machine (DMM) withp ≤n processors. The bounds are expressed as a function of the redundancyr of the scheme (i.e., the number of copies used to represent each PRAM variable in the DMM), and become tight for anym polynomial inn andr=Θ(1).
KeywordsShared Memory Memory Module Simulation Scheme Access Protocol Read Operation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Czumaj, F. Meyer auf der Heide, and V. Stemann. Shared memory simulations with triple-logarithmic delay.Proceedings of the 3rd European Symposium on Algorithms, Corfu, September 1995. LNCS, volume 979, pages 46–59, 1995.Google Scholar
- K. Herley, A. Pietracaprina, and G. Pucci. Implementing shared memory on multi-dimensional meshes and on the fat-tree.Proceedings of the 3rd European Symposium on Algorithms, Corfu, September 1995. LNCS, volume 979, pages 60–74, 1995.Google Scholar
- A. Pietracaprina and F. P. Preparata. AnO(√n)-worst-case-time solution to the granularity problem.Proceedings of the 10th Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science, Würzburg, February 1993. LNCS, volume 665, pages 110–119.Google Scholar
- A. Pietracaprina and F. P. Preparata. A practical constructive scheme for deterministic shared-memory access.Proceedings of the 5th ACM Symposium on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures, Velen, July 1993, pages 100–109.Google Scholar
- A. Pietracaprina and G. Pucci. Tight bounds on deterministic PRAM emulations with constant redundancy.Proceedings of the 2nd European Symposium on Algorithms, Papendal, September 1994. LNCS, volume 855, pages 391–400.Google Scholar
- A. Pietracaprina and G. Pucci. Improved deterministic PRAM simulation on the mesh.Proceedings of the 22nd International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming, Szeged, July 1995. LNCS, volume 944, pages 372–383.Google Scholar
- A. Pietracaprina, G. Pucci, and J. Sibeyn. Constructive deterministic PRAM simulation on a mesh-connected computer.Proceedings of the 6th ACM Symposium on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures, Cape May, NJ, June 1994, pages 248–256.Google Scholar