The finding of patients suffering from naso-pharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) who contacted with the hexamethylphosphoramide (HMPA) for a long term
- 9 Downloads
In 1975, it was found that the HMPA could induce the nasal tumors in the rats, the carcinogenicity and the latency were dose correlated with the HMPA concentration, it was estimated by the National Institute for occupation Safety Health that about 5,000 people were occupationally exposed to HMPA in 1975, and more than 90% exposures are in research laboratories. Since then, no one patient suffering from NPC or nasal tumors has been found. In 1987, in a mass survey of Antibodies to Epstein-Barr Virus specific DNase (EDAb). Authors found that there were eight persons who had a long term contact with HMPA (8–10 years) in 1970–1980 in Guangzhou Chemical Engineering Institute. 2 of the 8 were EDAb positive (high titre) but the nasopharyngeal cavity were not found any abnormal. Owing to the history of contact with HMPA and a vigorous elevation of EDAb titre in the duration of 2.5 years' follow up was observed. There 2 persons were considered as a high risk population of NPC and a “Blind Biopsy” of nasopharynx was suggested. A diagnosis of poorly differentiated squamous carcinoma confirmed pathologically. The clinical stage of these 2 patients were stage 1(T1N0M0) and were treated with radiotherapy and live very well till now. The results suggested that the HMPA might induced human nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
KeywordsNasopharyngeal Carcinoma Squamous Carcinoma Term Contact Mass Survey Human Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zapp Ja Jr. Hexamethylphosphoramide (HMPA) Possible Carcinogen. Science 1975; 190 (4213): 422.Google Scholar
- 2.Lee KP. Induction of Nasal Tumours in Rats Exposed to Hexamethylphosphoramide by Inhalation. J Natl Cancer Institute 1982; 68(1):157.Google Scholar
- 6.Zijistra JA, Brusaee J, Van der Gen A, et al. Importance of Mutiple Hydroxylated Metabolites in Hexamethylphosphoramide (HMPA)-Mediated Mutagenesis in Drospophila Melanogaster. Mutat Res 1989; 212(2):193.Google Scholar
- 7.Din XX, Coon MJ. Immunochemical Characterization of Multiple from of Cytochrome P-450 in Rabbit Nasal Microsomes And Evidence of Tissue-Specific Expression of P453s Nma and Nmb. Mol Pharmacol 1990; 37(4):489.Google Scholar
- 9.J William Lloyd, SdD. Hexamethylphosphoric Triamide (HMPA). Am Ind Hug Assoc J 1975; 36(12):917.Google Scholar