Influence of initial texture on the microstructural instabilities during compression of commercial α-Titanium at 25 °C to 400 °C
- 139 Downloads
Cylindrical specimens of textured commercial pure α-titanium plate, cut with the cylinder axis along the rolling direction for one set of experiments and in the long transverse direction for the other set, were compressed at strain rates in the range of 0.001 to 100 s~’ and temperatures in the range of 25 °C to 400 °C. At strain rates ≥ 1 s−1 ’, both sets of specimens exhibited adiabatic shear bands, but the intensity of shear bands was found to be higher in the rolling direction specimens than in the long transverse direction specimens. At strain rates ⪯0.1s−1 the material deformed in a microstructurally inhomogeneous fashion. For the rolling direction specimens, cracking was observed at 100 °C and at strain rates ⪯0.1 s−1. This is attributed to dynamic strain aging. Such cracking was not observed in the long transverse specimens. The differences in the intensity of adiabatic shear bands and that of dynamic strain aging between the two sets of test specimens are attributed to the strong crystallographic texture present in these plates.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A.T. Churchman:Proc. R. Soc. London, 1954, vol. 216, pp. 216–26.Google Scholar
- 2.E.D. Levine:IME Trans., 1966, vol. 236, pp. 1558–64.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Akthar and E. Teghtsoonian:Metall. Trans. A, 1975, vol. 6A, pp. 2201–08.Google Scholar
- 5.A. Akthar:Metall. Trans. A, 1975, vol. 6A, pp. 1105–13.Google Scholar
- 6.A.M. Garde and R.E. Reed-Hill:Metall. Trans., 1971, vol. 2, pp. 2885–88.Google Scholar
- 7.S.N. Monteiro and R.E. Reed-Hill:Metall. Trans., 1973, vol. 4, pp. 1011–15.Google Scholar
- 8.A.T. Santhanam and R.E. Reed-Hill:Metall. Trans., 1971, vol. 2, pp. 2619–22.Google Scholar
- 9.H. Andrew Grebe, H.-R. Pak, and M.A. Meyers:Metall. Trans. A, 1985, vol. 16A, pp. 716–75.Google Scholar
- 10.Satish V. Kailas, Y.V.R.K. Prasad, and S.K. Biswas:Metall. Trans. A, 1993, vol. 24A, pp. 2513–20.Google Scholar
- 11.J.C. McHargue and J.P. Hammod:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1953, vol. 197, pp. 57–61.Google Scholar
- 12.Hsun Hu and R.S. Cline:AIME Trans., 1968, vol. 242, p. 1013.Google Scholar