Deformation processing of an aluminum alloy containing particles: Studies on AI-5 pct Si alloy 4043
- 116 Downloads
Al-5 wt pct Si alloy is processed by upset forging in the temperature range 300 K to 800 K and in the strain rate range 0.02 to 200 s−1. The hardness and tensile properties of the product have been studied. A “safe” window in the strain rate-temperature field has been identified for processing of this alloy to obtain maximum tensile ductility in the product. For the above strain rate range, the temperature range of processing is 550 K to 700 K for obtaining high ductility in the product. On the basis of microstructure and the ductility of the product, the temperature-strain rate regimes of damage due to cavity formation at particles and wedge cracking have been isolated for this alloy. The tensile fracture features recorded on the product specimens are in conformity with the above damage mechanisms. A high temperature treatment above ≈600 K followed by fairly fast cooling gives solid solution strengthening in the alloy at room temperature.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. A. Backofen:Fundamentals of Deformation Processing, Syracuse University Press, New York, NY, 1964, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 3.R. Raj:Metall. Trans. A, 1981, vol. 12A, p. 1089.Google Scholar
- 5.S.M. Doraivelu and V. Gopinathan:18th Int. MTDR Conf, J.M. Alexander, ed., Imperial College, London, Macmillan, Oxford, 1978, p. 37.Google Scholar
- 6.H.J. McQueen, J. Sankar, and S. Fulop:Mechanical Behavior of Materials, K.J. Miller and R. F. Smith, eds., Pergamon Press, New York, NY, 1979, vol. 2, ICM3, p. 675.Google Scholar
- 8.C. Gandhi and R. Raj:Metall. Trans. A, 1981, vol. 12A, p. 515.Google Scholar