Focal mechanisms and tectonic stress field of the Xinfengjiang earthquake
- 6 Downloads
Altogether 83 events were recorded clearly by all the 8 sub-seismometric stations of the telemetrered seismic network in the Xinfengjiang area during the period from October 1st 1983 to April 30th 1987. Based upon the difference of the initial motion of P waves, the authors divided the 83 earthquakes into 37 pattens. Combining similar pattens, we have got 5 types of focal mechanism solutions. The recent tectonic stress field of the Xinfengjiang region is discussed. The characteristics of the stress axis and the nodal planes are different from which our predecessors got earlier; but the present results is similar to which put forward by the authors in 1981. This paper shows that the tectonic stress field is clearly characterized by a compression in the N-S direction.
Key wordsfocal mechanism tectonic stress field transform stress field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Luo, Y. L., Zhu, Y. H. and Tan, X. J., 1984. The in-site testing of radio telemetry seismic network in Xinfengjiang.South China journal of seismology,4, 44–47 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Shen, C. G., Chen, H. Q., Zhang, C. H., Huang, L. S., Li, Z. Q., Yang, Z. Y., Wang, D. J. and Luo, X. H., 1974. Xinfengjiang reservior earthquake and its influence of the dam.Scientia Sinica,2, 1–32 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Wang, M. Y., Yang, M. Y., Hu, Y. L., Li, Z. Q., Chen, Y. T., Jin, Y., Feng, R., 1976. Initial research for focal mechanism solution and its genesis of the reservior earthquake in Xinfengjiang,Scientia sinica,1, 85–97 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Focal mechanism and fracture researching group, Institute of Geology, Academia Sinica, Xinfengjiang earthquake researching group, Guangdong scientific and technological department, 1974. A preliminary analysis of the mechanism of the micro earthquake in the region of Xinfengjiang reservior.Scientia Geologica Sinica,3, 234–245 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Wei, B. L., 1981. Focal stress field and tectonic stress field of the Xinfengjiang reservior induced earthquake.Seismology and Geology,3, 1, 75–78 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Huang, H. S., Chen, Y. M., Wei, B. L., Yang, H. C. and Qin, N. G., 1989. The study of the earthquake ofM s=4.5 on Sep. 15. 1987 in Xinfengjiang reservior area.South China journal of seismology,9, 3, 72–78 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Xie, M. F., 1989. The characteristics of earthquake swarms and regional earthquake of Xunwn in 1987.South China journal of seismology,9, 4, 27–33 (in Chinese).Google Scholar