Effect of iron and combined iron and beryllium additions on the fracture toughness and microstructures of squeeze-cast Al-7Si-0.3Mg alloy
- 107 Downloads
Squeeze casting is a near-net-shape process of casting under pressure that yields a fine-grain structure with higher density and mechanical properties compared to conventional casting processes. Iron is the most commonly present impurity element in Al-7Si-0.3Mg, the alloy investigated. An increase in iron content significantly decreases fracture toughness. However, trace additions of beryllium completely neutralize the detrimental effect of iron. The variables of the squeeze casting process greatly govern the microstructures and macrostructures and thus the defects in the casting. This case study deals with Al7Si-0.3Mg squeeze-cast cranks with four major defects—blistering, debonding, porosity, and patches of silicon segregation on the casting surface—and the appropriate remedial measures to eliminate these defects.
Keywordsaluminum alloys beryllium iron squeeze casting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G.A. Chadwick and T.M. Yue, Principles and Applications of Squeeze Casting,Cast. Technol., Jan 1989, p 6-12Google Scholar
- 2.R.F. Lynch, R.P. Olley, and P.C.J. Gallagher, Squeeze Casting of Aluminium,AFS Trans., Vol 83,1975, p 569–576Google Scholar
- 3.A.A. Das and S. Chatterjee, Squeeze Casting of an Aluminium Alloy Containing Small Amount of Silicon Carbide Whisker,Metall. Mater. Technol., March 1981, p 137-142Google Scholar
- 4.J.L. Dorcic and S.K. Verma, Squeeze Casting,Metals Handbook, Vol 15,9th ed., 1988, p 323-327Google Scholar
- 5.W.F. Shaw and T. Watmough, Squeeze Casting: APotential Foundry Process,Foundry, Vol 97, 1969, p 166–173Google Scholar
- 6.J.L. Reiss and E.C. Kron, Ultra High Pressure Casting,Mod. Cast., March 1960, p 89-96Google Scholar
- 7.S. Murali, K.S. Raman, and K.S.S. Murthy, Effect of Magnesium, Iron (Impurity) and Solidification Rates on Fracture Toughness of Al-7Si-0.3Mg Casting Alloy,Mater. Sci. Eng., VolA151,1992, p 1–10Google Scholar
- 8.K.T. Kashyap, S. Murali, K.S. Raman, and K.S.S. Murthy, Overview: Casting and Heat Treatment Variables of Al-7Si-0.3Mg Alloy,Mater. Sci. Technol., Vol 9, March 1993, p 189–203Google Scholar
- 9.S. Murali, K.S. Raman, and K.S.S. Murthy, Effect of Trace Additions (Be, Cr, Mn and Co) on the Mechanical Properties and Fracture Toughness of Fe-containing Al-7Si-0.3Mg Alloy,Cast Met., Vol 6 (No. 4), 1994, p 189–197Google Scholar
- 11.S. Murali, K.S. Raman, and K.S.S. Murthy, The Formation of β-FeSiAl5 and Be-Fe Phases in Al-7Si-0.3Mg Alloy Containing Be,Mater. Sci. Eng., Vol A190,1995, p 165–172Google Scholar
- 12.S. Rajagopal and W.H. Altergott, Quality Control in Squeeze Casting of Aluminium,AFS Trans., Vol 93, 1985, p 145–154Google Scholar