We consider the capacitated minimum cost flow problem on directed hypergraphs. We define spanning hypertrees so generalizing the spanning tree of a standard graph, and show that, like in the standard and in the generalized minimum cost flow problems, a correspondence exists between bases and spanning hypertrees. Then, we show that, like for the network simplex algorithms for the standard and for the generalized minimum cost flow problems, most of the computations performed at each pivot operation have direct hypergraph interpretations.
KeywordsFlows Leontief flows Hypergraphs Simplex algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R.K. Ahuja, T.L. Magnanti and J.B. Orlin,Network Flows: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications (Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1993).Google Scholar
- R. Cambini, G. Gallo and M.G. Scutellà, Minimum cost flows on hypergraphs, Technical Report TR-1/92, Dipartimento di Informatica, University of Pisa, Pisa, 1992.Google Scholar
- G. Gallo, F. Licheri and M.G. Scutellà, The hypergraph simplex approach: Some experimental results,Ricerca Operativa ANNO XXVI, 78 (1996) 21–54.Google Scholar
- G. Gallo and G. Rago, A hypergraph approach to logical inference for datalog formulae, Technical Report TR-28/90, Dipartimento di Informatica, University of Pisa, Pisa, 1990.Google Scholar
- A.F. Torres and J.D. Araoz, Combinatorial models for searching in knowledge bases,Mathematicas, Acta Cientifica Venezolana 39 (1988) 387–394.Google Scholar