Linear expanders have numerous applications to theoretical computer science. Here we show that a regular bipartite graph is an expanderif and only if the second largest eigenvalue of its adjacency matrix is well separated from the first. This result, which has an analytic analogue for Riemannian manifolds enables one to generate expanders randomly and check efficiently their expanding properties. It also supplies an efficient algorithm for approximating the expanding properties of a graph. The exact determination of these properties is known to be coNP-complete.
AMS subject classification (1980)05 C 99 05 C 50 68 E 10
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- N. Alon andV. D. Milman, Eigenvalues, expanders and superconcentrators,Proc. 25 th Ann. Symp. on Foundations of Comp. Sci., Florida (1984), 320–322.Google Scholar
- N. Alon, Z. Galil andV. D. Milman, Better expanders and superconcentrators,to appear.Google Scholar
- W. N. Anderson, Jr. andT. D. Morley, Eigenvalues of the Laplacian of a graph,University of Maryland Technical Report TR-71-45, (1971).Google Scholar
- J. Cheeger, A lower bound for the smallest eigenvalue of the Laplacian, inProblems in Analysis (edited by R. C. Gunning), Princeton University Press, New Jersey, (1970), 195–199.Google Scholar
- F. K. R. Chung, On concentrators, superconcentrators, generalizers and nonblocking networks,Bell Sys. Tech. J. 58 (1978), 1765–1777.Google Scholar
- D. M. Cvetkovic, Some possible directions in further investigations of graph spectra, in:Algebraic Methods in Graph Theory (Coll. Math. Soc. J. Bolyai, L. Lovász and V. T. Sós eds.), North-Holland, Amsterdam, (1981) 47–67.Google Scholar
- M. Fiedler, Algebraic connectivity of graphs,Czechoslovak. Math. J. 23 (98), (1973), 298–305.Google Scholar
- J. Ja’Ja, Time space tradeoffs for some algebraic problems,Proc. 12 th Ann. ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, (1980), 339–350.Google Scholar
- S. Jimbo andA. Maruoka, Expanders obtained from affine transformations (extended abstract),preprint (1984).Google Scholar
- M. Pinkser, On the complexity of a concentrator,7 th International Teletraffic Conference, Stockholm, June 1973, 318/1–318/4.Google Scholar
- A. Ralston,A First Course in Numerical Analysis, McGraw-Hill, 1985, Section 10.4.Google Scholar
- A. L. Rosenberg, Fault tolerant interconnection networks; a graph theoretic approach, in:Proc. of a Workshop on Graph Theoretic Concepts in Computer Science, Trauner Verlag, Linz (1983), 286–297.Google Scholar
- A. Lubotzky, R. Phillips, andP. Sarnak, Ramanujan graphs,to appear.Google Scholar