The influence of storage on the fatty acid content of cod liver oil
A study has been made of the change of fatty acid content of cod liver oils during storage. Thirty oils varying in acid content from 0.38% to 20.88% were procured in the open market. They represented three types of oils—medicinal, animal feeding and industrial oils. The samples of oil were stored at room temperature, in the dark, in three-fourths filled, four-ounce, amber, cork-stoppered bottles. The acid content was determined twelve times during a period of forty-two months. The acid content of each oil increased. The amount of increase varied from 7.42% for a sample of industrial oil with an initial acid content of 16.45% to 84.80% for a sample of animal feeding oil with an initial acid content of 0.99%. In general, the cod liver oils with initial high acid content showed a lower percentage increase in free fatty acids than oils with a low initial free fatty acid content.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Heyerdahl, P. M., Chronological synopsis of chemical researches on cod-liver oil, Cod Liver Oil and Chemistry, F. P. Möller, London, lxxi, (1895).Google Scholar
- 2.Lewkowitsch, J. and G. H. Warburton, Chemical Technology and Analysis of Oils, Fats and Waxes, Sixth Edition, Vol. II, MacMillan & Co., London, 435 (1922).Google Scholar
- 3.Möller, F. P. Cod-Liver Oil and Chemistry, London (1895).Google Scholar
- 4.Heyerdahl,P. M., New Chemical Researches on Cod-Liver Oil, Cod Liver Oil and Chemistry, F. P. Möller, London, xxxviii (1895).Google Scholar
- 5.Pharmacopoeia of the United States. Tenth Decennial Revision, J. B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia, 263 (1926).Google Scholar
- 6.Holmes, A. D., W. B. Moore, J. S. Bennett and M. G. Pigott, Poultry Sci., 9, 164 (1930).Google Scholar
- 7.Jamieson, G. S., Vegetable Fats and Oils. The Chemical Catalog Co., Inc., New York (1932).Google Scholar
- 8.Davies, W. L. Oil and Fat Ind., 7, 427 (1930).Google Scholar
- 9.King, A. E., H. L. Roschen and W. H. Irwin. Oil and Soap, 10, 204 (1933).Google Scholar
- 10.Emery, J. A. U. S. Dept. Agriculture Bull. Animal Ind., 26th Annual Rpt. (1909).Google Scholar
- 13.Robertson, F. R., and J. G. Campbell, Oil and Soap, 10, 146 (1933).Google Scholar
- 14.Holmes, A. D., W. Z. Clough and R. J. Owen, Oil and Fat Ind., 6, 15 (1929).Google Scholar