Advertisement

Lipids

, Volume 8, Issue 5, pp 271–276 | Cite as

Dimorphotheca sinuata lipoxygenase: Formation of 13-L-hydroperoxy-cis-9,trans-11-octadecadienoic acid from linoleic acid

  • H. W. Gardner
  • D. D. Christianson
  • R. Kleiman
Article

Abstract

Lipoxygenase (EC 1.13.1.13) from the seed ofDimorphotheca sinuata oxidized linoleic acid to predominantly 13-L-hydroperoxy-cis-9,trans-11-octadecadienoic acid. When the reaction proceeded at pH 6.9, the 13-hydroperoxide was the only isomer detected; but at pH 5.1, the 13-isomer was 92% of the total, the remaining 8% being the 9-hydroperoxide. At both pH's small amounts of hydroxyoctadecadienoic acid accumulated during the reaction. This acid from the pH 6.9 reaction was analyzed as 13-hydroxy-cis,trans-octadecadienoic. The postulate advanced by many workers that dimorphecolic acid, 9-D-hydroxy-trans-10,trans-12-octadecadienoic acid, is biosynthesized via a lipoxygenase product was not proved. Although the product specificity ofD. sinuata lipoxygenase is like that of lipoxygenase type 1 from soybeans, its inactivity at pH 9 demonstrated that it is a novel enzyme.

Keywords

Linoleic Acid Lipoxygenase Activity Hydroxystearic Acid Lipoxygenase Product Linoleic Acid Hydroperoxide 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

References

  1. 1.
    Smith, C.R., T.L. Wilson, E.H. Melvin and I.A. Wolff, J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 82:1417 (1960).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  2. 2.
    Phillips, B.E., C.R. Smith, Jr., and L.W. Tjarks, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 210:353 (1970).PubMedGoogle Scholar
  3. 3.
    Gardner, H.W., and D. Weisleder, Lipids 5:678 (1970).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  4. 4.
    Galliard, T., and D.R. Phillips, Biochem. J. 124:431 (1971).PubMedGoogle Scholar
  5. 5.
    Graveland, A., JAOCS 47:352 (1970).Google Scholar
  6. 6.
    Powell, R.G., C.R. Smith, Jr., and I.A. Wolff, J. Org. Chem. 32:1442 (1967).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  7. 7.
    Veldink, G.A., Ph.D. thesis, University of Utrecht, 1971.Google Scholar
  8. 8.
    Hamberg, M., and B. Samuelsson, J. Biol. Chem. 242:5329 (1967).PubMedGoogle Scholar
  9. 9.
    Gardner, H.W., and D. Weisleder, Lipids 7:191 (1972).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  10. 10.
    Christopher, J.P., E.K. Pistorius and B. Axelrod, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 198:12 (1970).Google Scholar
  11. 11.
    Christopher, J.P., E.K. Pistorius and B. Axelrod, Ibid. 284:54 (1972).PubMedGoogle Scholar
  12. 12.
    Christopher, J.P., and B. Axelrod, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 44:731 (1971).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  13. 13.
    Jeso, F. di, J. Biol. Chem. 243:2022 (1968).PubMedGoogle Scholar
  14. 14.
    Lowry, O.H., N.J. Rosebrough, A.L. Farr and R.J. Randall, Ibid. 193:265 (1951).PubMedGoogle Scholar
  15. 15.
    Davis, B.J., Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 121:404 (1964).PubMedGoogle Scholar
  16. 16.
    Guss, P.L., T. Richardson and M.A. Stahmann, Cereal Chem. 44:607 (1967).Google Scholar
  17. 17.
    Kleiman, R., and G.F. Spencer, JAOCS 50:31 (1973).Google Scholar
  18. 18.
    Rackis, J.J., D.H. Honig, D.J. Sessa and H.A. Moser, Cereal Chem. 49:586 (1972).Google Scholar
  19. 19.
    Tallent, W.H., J. Harris, I.A. Wolff and R.E. Lundin, Tetrahedron Lett. 1966:4329.Google Scholar
  20. 20.
    Morris, L.J., R.T. Holman and K. Fontell, JAOCS 37:323 (1960).Google Scholar
  21. 21.
    Veldink, G.A., G.J. Garssen, J.F.G. Vliegenthart and J. Boldingh, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 47:22 (1972).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  22. 22.
    Leu, K., and C. Eriksson, Presented at the ISF XI World Congress, Göteborg, Sweden, June 1972.Google Scholar
  23. 23.
    Heimann, W., and P. Schreier, Helv. Chim. Acta 53:2296 (1970).CrossRefGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© American Oil Chemists’ Society 1973

Authors and Affiliations

  • H. W. Gardner
    • 1
  • D. D. Christianson
    • 1
  • R. Kleiman
    • 1
  1. 1.Northern Regional Research LaboratoryPeoria

Personalised recommendations