The quantitative production of aldehydes from O-alk-1-enyl glycerols
The quantitative recovery and structural alterations of aldehydes liberated from O-alk-1-enyl glycerols on thin layer chromatographic layers have been evaluated by using14C-labeled fatty aldehydes and chromatography. The results led to the development of a quantitative procedure for isolating the aldehydes produced from O-alk-1-enyl glycerols by shaking an ethereal solution of the ether-linked lipids with concentrated hydrochloric acid. The procedure is rapid and silicic acid does not interfere.
KeywordsAldehyde Silicic Acid Preparative Thin Layer Chromatography Isopropylidene Lithium Aluminum Hydride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Schmid, H. H. O. and H. K. Mangold, Biochim. Biophys. Acta125, 182 (1966).Google Scholar
- 2.Schmid, H. H. O. and H. K. Mangold, Biochem. Z.346, 13 (1966).Google Scholar
- 6.Wood, R. and F. Snyder, Lipids3, 129 (1968).Google Scholar
- 7.Mahadevan, V., F. Phillips and W. O. Lundberg, Ibid.1, 183 (1966).Google Scholar
- 8.Jangaard, P. M. and R. G. Ackman, J. Fisheries Res. Board Can.18, 865 (1961).Google Scholar
- 10.Wood, R., Lipids2, 199 (1967).Google Scholar
- 13.Wood, R., and R. Harlow, USAEC Report ORAU 106,1968, 144.Google Scholar