The establishment of a calibration standard for gravimeters in Eastern Canada and the United States
- 15 Downloads
A program of gravimeter measurements for the establishment of a suitable gravity standard in eastern Canada and United States is described. It is shown that the consistency of nine independent measurements of the gravity differences between stations forming a north-south line from Ottawa to Washington is highly satisfactory and that this line is suitable for calibration purposes. The gravity differences depend fundamentally upon a gravimeter calibration made against values of gravity at Cambridge pendulum stations in Canada.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Garland, G. D. and J. G. Tanner 1957 Investigations of gravity and isostasy in the Southern Canadian Cordillera, Pub. Dom. Obs. V. XIX, No 5, 1957.Google Scholar
- Gilbert, R. L. G. 1957 Some comments on the results obtained with the Cambridge pendulum apparatus in North America. Trans. Amer. Geo. Union (in Press).Google Scholar
- Gilbert, R. L. G. 1957 A calibration device for gravimeters. Pub. Dom. Obs. (Unpublished).Google Scholar
- Innes, M. J. S. and Thompson, L. G. D. 1953 The establishment of primary gravimetric bases in Canada, Pub. Dom. Obs. V. 16, No 8, 1953.Google Scholar
- Innes, M.J.S. 1957 Gravity measurements in Canada Januaryl, 1954 to December 31, 1956, Pub. Dom. Obs. Vol. XIX, No 1, 1957.Google Scholar
- Miller, A.H. 1931 A determination of the relative values of gravity at Potsdam, Greenwich, Ottawa and Washington, Pub. Dom. Obs. V. II, No 2, 1931.Google Scholar
- Morelli, C.; Innes, M.J.S. and Rice, D.A. 1957 Gravimetric ties—Europe—America II. (Unpublished)Google Scholar
- Rose, J.C. and Woollard, G.P. 1955 Gravity values obtained with the Gulf-Quartz pendulum over the North American gravity range. Pub. Woods-Hole Oceanographic Institution, Ref. No 55–44, 1955.Google Scholar
- Saxov, S. 1956 A gravity survey of the vicinity of Ottawa. Pub. Dom. Obs. V. 18, No 11, 1956.Google Scholar
- Thompson, L.G.D. 1957 An improved pendulum apparatus for relative gravity determinations.Google Scholar