Synchrotron radiation X-ray diffraction study on phase behavior of PPP-POP binary mixtures
- 185 Downloads
The phase behavior of thesn-1,3-dipalmitoyl-2-oleoylglycerol (PPP-POP) binary mixture system was studied by powder X-ray diffraction with synchrotron radiation and by differential scanning calorimetry. The results showed that the immiscible phases were observed in metastable and in the most stable forms. In particular, synchrotron X-ray diffraction enabled us to reveal the monotectic nature of α as a kinetic phase behavior. The equilibrium phase diagram of the PPP-POP mixture is divided into two regions. In POP concentration ratios below 40%, solid-state transformation from α to β was observed, indicating that the α-β transition of PPP was promoted in the presence of POP. By contrast, the polymorphic transition proceeds from α to β through the occurrence of the intermediate β′ form at POP concentration ratios above 50%.
Key WordsDifferential scanning calorimetry mixture phase behavior 2-oleodipalmitin polymorphism synchrotron radiation X-ray diffraction tripalmitin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hagemann, J.W., inCrystallization and Polymorphism of Fats and Fatty Acids, edited by N. Garti and K. Sato, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1988, pp. 9–95.Google Scholar
- 3.Rossell, J.B., Phase Diagrams of Triglyceride Systems,Advance in Lipid Res. 5:353–408 (1967).Google Scholar
- 4.Small, D.M., in The Physical Chemistry of Lipids,Handbook of Lipid Research 4, Plenum, New York, 1986, pp. 378–382.Google Scholar
- 5.Lutton, E.S., Phase Behavior of Triglyceride Mixture Involving Primarily Tristearin, 2-Oleyldistearin, and Triolein,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 32:49–53 (1955).Google Scholar
- 9.Kerridge, R., Melting-Point Diagrams for Binary Triglyceride System,J. Chem. Soc., 4577–4579 (1952).Google Scholar
- 11.Sato, K., T. Arishima, Z.h. Wang, K. Ojima, N. Sagi, and H. Mori, Polymorphism of POP and SOS. I. Occurrence and Polymorphic Transformation,66:664–674 (1989).Google Scholar
- 13.Lutton, E.S., and A.J. Fehl, The Polymorphism of Odd and Even Saturated Single Acid Triglycerides C8–C22,Lipids 5:91–99 (1969).Google Scholar
- 14.Lovegren, N.V., M.S. Gray, and R.O. Feuge, Thermal Properties of 2-Oleodipalmitin and 2-Elaidodipalmitin and Their Mixtures,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 53:519–523 (1976).Google Scholar