Forecasting non-stationary time series by wavelet process modelling
- 452 Downloads
Many time series in the applied sciences display a time-varying second order structure. In this article, we address the problem of how to forecast these nonstationary time series by means of non-decimated wavelets. Using the class of Locally Stationary Wavelet processes, we introduce a new predictor based on wavelets and derive the prediction equations as a generalisation of the Yule-Walker equations. We propose an automatic computational procedure for choosing the parameters of the forecasting algorithm. Finally, we apply the prediction algorithm to a meteorological time series.
Key words and phrasesLocal stationarity non-decimated wavelets prediction time-modulated processes Yule-Walker equations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antoniadis, A. and Sapatinas, T. (2003). Wavelet methods for continuous-time prediction using representations of autoregressive processes in Hilbert spaces,J. Multivariate Anal. (to appear).Google Scholar
- Brockwell, P. J. and Davis, R. A. (1991).Time Series: Theory and Methods, 2nd ed., Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- Coifman, R. and Donoho, D. (1995). Time-invariant de-noising,Wavelets and Statistics, Vol. 103 (eds. A. Antoniadis and G. Oppenheim), 125–150, Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- Dahlhaus, R. (1996a). Asymptotic statistical inference for nonstationary processes with evolutionary spectra,Athens Conference on Applied Probability and Time Series Analysis, Vol. 2, (eds. P. Robinson and M. Rosenblatt), Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- Fryźlewicz, P. (2002). Modelling and forecasting financial log-returns as locally stationary wavelet processes, Research Report, Department of Mathematics, University of Bristol. (http://www.stats. bris.ac.uk/pub/ResRept/2002.html)Google Scholar
- Kress, R. (1991).Numerical Analysis, Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- Ledolter, J. (1980). Recursive estimation and adaptive forecasting in ARIMA models with time varying coefficients,Applied Time Series Analysis, II (Tulsa, Okla.), 449–471, Academic Press, New York-London.Google Scholar
- Philander, S. (1990).El Niño, La Niña and the Southern Oscillation, Academic Press, San Diego.Google Scholar
- Van Bellegem, S. and von Sachs, R. (2003). Forecasting economic time series with unconditional time-varying variance,International Journal of Forecasting (to appear).Google Scholar