Semi-automatic tool for segmentation and volumetric analysis of medical images
Segmentation software is described, developed for medical image processing and run on Windows. The software applies basic image processing techniques through a graphical user interface. For particular applications, such as brain lesion segmentation, the software enables the combination of different segmentation techniques to improve its efficiency. The program is applied for magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography and optical images of cryosections. The software can be utilised in numerous applications, including pre-processing for three-dimensional presentations, volumetric analysis and construction of volume conductor models.
KeywordsSegmentation MRI Volumetric measurement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brillman, T., Kasdan, R. andWechsler, L. (1997): ‘The neurologist as neuroimager’,Neurology,48, pp. 303–305Google Scholar
- Dastidar, P., Ryymin, P., Heinonen, T., Peltola, J. andElovaara, I. (1996): ‘Semiautomatic technique for measuring lesion volumes using MR segmentation in the treatment and follow-up of multiple sclerosis patients’,Med. Biol. Eng. Comput.,134, Suppl. 1, (1), pp. 241–242Google Scholar
- Glassner, A. (1990): ‘Graphics gems’ (Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, Academic Press)Google Scholar
- Heinonen, T., Eskola, H., Kauppinen, P. andMalmivuo, J. (1996): ‘Tissue segmentation of visible human man data using IARD method’,Med. Biol. Eng. Comput.,34, Suppl. 1, (1), pp. 139–140Google Scholar
- Jack, C., Zinsmeister, A. andCascino, G. (1989): ‘Anterior temporal lobes and hippocampal formations: normative volumetric measurements from MR images in young adults’,Radiology,172, pp. 549–554Google Scholar
- Jain, A. (1989): ‘Fundamentals of digital image processing’ (Prentice-Hall International Editions)Google Scholar
- Laarne, P., Eskola, H., Hyttinen, J., Suikho, V. andMalmivuo, J. (1995): ‘Validation of a detailed model of the electrical fields in the brain’,J. Med. Eng. Technol.,19, pp. 84–87Google Scholar
- Pratt, W. (1991): ‘Digital image processing’ (A Wiley-Interscience Publication)Google Scholar
- Wagner, M., Fuchs, M., Wischmann, H.-A., Ottenberg, K. andDssel, O. (1995): ‘Cortex segmentation from 3D images for MEG reconstructions,in Biomagnetism: Fundamental research and clinical applications (IOS Press, Amsterdam) pp. 433–438Google Scholar