Propagation of error in precise levelling and its bearing on the assessment of recent crustal movements
- 91 Downloads
Inference from repeated levellings regarding recent crustal movements is discussed in connection with the assessment of indications of local vertical movements and regional tilts.
The recommended procedure of evaluating the propagation of error in large levelling networks is given together with the system of statistical tests leading to the determination of the level of significance of apparent changes in height.
A practical example is analysed to show that when the changes are too small to be individually significant the probabilities of uplift and subsidence can be combined to indicate the most probable trend. Another example illustrates the testing of the possible influence of outlying differences on conclusions drawn from the comparison of repeated levellings in search of indications of gradual tilting.
KeywordsCrustal Movement Height Difference Nile Delta Line Variance Height Change
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. LUCHT, 1970 Extensions of the research on recent crustal movements in northwest Germany. In Rudolf Sigl (Editor),Report on the Symposium on Coastal Geodesy. Institute for Astronomical and Physical Geodesy, Technical University, Munich.Google Scholar
- A.M. WASSEF, 1955. Statistical analysis of discrepancies in levelling with application to the first—order levelling of the Nile delta.Bulletin Géodésique No. 36.Google Scholar
- A.M. WASSEF, 1962. Principles and methods of statistical analysis of levelling errors.Travaux de l'Association Internationale de Géodésie T. 21.Google Scholar
- A.M. WASSEF, 1974. On the search for reliable criteria of the accuracy of precise levellings based on statistical considerations of the discrepancies.Bulletin Géodésique No. 112.Google Scholar
- A.M. WASSEF and F.Z.A. MESSIH, 1968. Introductory statistical analysis of the second and third precise levellings of the Netherlands (Part 1).Travaux de l'Association Internationale de Géodésie T. 23.Google Scholar
- A.M. WASSEF and F.Z.A. MESSIH, 1971. Introductory statistical analysis of the second and third precise levellings of the Netherlands (Part 2).I.A.G., Moscow.Google Scholar