Strain analysis along the North Analtolian Fault by using geodetic surveys
In earthquake prediction studies geodetic surveys play a very significant role. For this purpose, in Turkey, three micro geodetic networks have been established across the North Anatolian Fault. Of these, the Ismetpa§a Network is the subject of this paper. From the observations in combined triangulation—trilateration mode in 1972 and 1982 the horizontal movements and strain components were determined. Afterwards the parameters of the best fitting deformation model were computed and analyzed. The results show that the Anatolian plate has about a 1 cm/year westward motion, and there exists considerable strain accumulation in the area.
KeywordsShear Strain Strain Component Strain Accumulation Arabian Plate North Anatolian Fault
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. CHRZANOWSKI, Y.Q. CHEN and J.M. SECORD, 1982: “On the Strain Analysis of Tectonic Movements Using Fault Crossing Geodetic Surveys”. University of New Brunswick, Canada.Google Scholar
- M. ERDIK, V. DOYURAN, P. GÜLKAN and N. AKKAŞ, 1983: “A Probabilistic Assessment of the Seismic Hazard in Turkey”. METU/EERC Report No. 83-1, Ankara.Google Scholar
- K. EREN, 1982: “Earthquake Predictions by Utilizing Horizontal and Vertical Movement on North Anatolian Fault”. Project Code No. 81-04-03-02, Middle East Technical University, Ankara.Google Scholar
- F.C. FRANK, 1966 “Deduction of Earth Strains from Survey Data”. BSSA, Vol. 56, pp. 34–42.Google Scholar
- W.C. HAMILTON, 1964:Statistics in Physical Science. The Ronald Press Company, New York.Google Scholar
- M. LISOWSKI and J.C. SAVAGE, 1976: “Strain Accumulation from 1964 to 1977 near Epicentral Zone of the 1976–1977 Earthquake Swarm Southeast of Palmdale, California”. BSSA, Vol. 69, No. 3, pp. 751–756.Google Scholar
- M. LISOWSKI and W.H. PRESCOTT, 1981: “Short Range Distant Measurements Along the San Andreas Fault System in Central California, 1975 to 1979”. BSSA, Vol. 71, No. 5, pp. 1607–1624.Google Scholar
- D.P. McKENZIE, 1972: “Active Tectonics of the Mediterranean Region”. Geophys. J.R. Astr. Soc., Vol. 30, pp. 109–185.Google Scholar
- W.H. PRESCOTT, 1976: “An Extension of Frank's Method for Obtaining Crustal Shear Strains from Survey Data”. BSSA, Vol. 66, pp. 1847–1854.Google Scholar
- J.C. SAVAGE, M. LISOWSKI, W.H. PRESCOTT and N.E. KING, 1981: “Strain Accumulation near the Epicenters of the 1978 Bishop and 1980 Mammoth Lakes, California, Earthquake”. BSSA, Vol. 71, No. 2, pp. 465–476.Google Scholar
- A.R. SNAY and M.W. CLINE, 1980: “Geodetically Derived Strain at Shelter Cove, California”. BSSA, Vol. 70, No. 3, pp. 893–901.Google Scholar
- E. UĜUR, 1974: “Kuzey Anadolu Fay Ku§agi Üzerinde Yerkabuĝu Hareketlerinin Jeodezik Yöntemlerle Etüdü”, Harita Genel Komutanligi Matbaasi, Ankara.Google Scholar