Use of PIXE analysis to determine trace metals in drinking water in Jordan
- 30 Downloads
The procedure for using proton induced X-ray emission (PIXE) in conjuction with the method of spotting for qualitative and quantitative multi-element analysis of drinking water in eight cities of Jordan is discussed in this article. It is likely that this method of preconcentration can be directly incorporated into field sampling procedures, thus eliminating the problems of sample contamination or trace element losses by absorption on container walls, the significance of some of the elements found in the samples is discussed.
KeywordsDrinking Water Sample Thin Film Technique Damage Heart Tissue Bombardment Chamber High Strontium Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.A. V. DALEN H. A. DAS J. LUTEN H. A. V. SLOOT, Trans. Am. Nucl. Soc., 21 (1975) 20.Google Scholar
- 4.E. M. JOHANSSON, Proc. Intern. Conf. on Particle Induced X-Ray Emission, Lund (1980), to be published in Nucl. Inst. Meth.Google Scholar
- 5.J. R. RHODS A. H. PRADZYNSKI, et al., Application of Low Energy X-and Gamma-Rays, C. A. ZIEGLER (Ed.) Gordon, Breach, N. Y. (1971) p. 317.Google Scholar
- 6.L.-E. CARLSSON, Proc. Intern. Conf. on Particle Induced X-Ray Emission, Lund (1980), to be published in Nucl. Inst. Meth.Google Scholar
- 10.R. C. KRONER, Proc. Conf. Traces of Heavy Metals in Water Removal Processes and Monitoring, EPA—902/9-74-001 (1977) p. 311.Google Scholar
- 11.P. C. SIMMS, F. A. RICKEY, The Multielement Analysis of Drinking Water, EPA-600/1-78-058 (1978) p. 30.Google Scholar
- 12.A. OSOL G. E. FARRAR R PRATT, Dispensotory of the U.S., 25th ed. Lippincett, Philadelphia (1955) p. 1520.Google Scholar
- 13.R. VAN REEN, Zinc Toxicity in Man and Experimental Speecies, In: Zinc Metabolism, A. S. PRASAD (Ed.) Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Illinois (1966) p. 411.Google Scholar
- 14.V. F. FAIRBANKS J. L. FAHEY E. BEUTLER, Clinical Disorders of Iron Metabolism, 2nd ed. Crune&Stratton, New York (1971) p. 1.Google Scholar
- 15.Recommended Dietary Allowances, 8th ed., National Research Council, National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D. C., 1974.Google Scholar
- 16.World Health Organization, Tech. Rep. Series, no. 502, 1972.Google Scholar