Generation of internal waves by a barotropic tide in the coastal zone
- 26 Downloads
Within the framework of the linear theory of long waves, we study internal waves generated by a barotropic tide in a two-layer ocean of variable depth taking into account the influence of the Coriolis force. Barotropic waves run over an extended unevenness of the bottom at an arbitrary angle. This unevenness is regarded as a model of the continental slope and shelf. We establish the dependences of the amplitudes of generated internal waves on the angle of incidence of the barotropic tide, topography of the bottom, and stratification.
KeywordsWave Velocity Internal Wave Continental Slope Horizontal Velocity Bottom Topography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baines, P. G.. The generation of internal tides by flatbump topography.Deep-Sea Res. (1973)20, No. 2, 179–206.Google Scholar
- 2.Sandstrom, H. On topographic generation and coupling of internal waves.Geophys. Fluid. Dyn. (1976)7 271–297.Google Scholar
- 3.Vlasenko, V. I. and Cherkesov, L. V.. Generation of an internal tide over the continental slope.Morsk Gidrofiz. Zh. (1987) No. 5, 3–8.Google Scholar
- 4.Buchwald, V. T.. Long waves on oceanic ridges.Proc. Roy. Soc. (1969)A308, 343–354.Google Scholar
- 6.Babij, M. V. and Cherkesov, L. V.. Generation of internal waves by a barotropic wave in the region of an oceanic ridge.Dokl. Akad. Nauk Ukr. SSR. Ser. A (1982)4, No. 9, 49–52.Google Scholar
- 7.Dovgaya, S. V. and Cherkesov, L. V. Investigation of internal waves generated by a diurnal barotropic tide in the region of an oceanic ridge.Morsk Gidrofiz. Zh. (1993) No. 4, 3–12.Google Scholar
- 8.Cherkesov, L. V., Ivanov, V. A., and Khartiev, S. M.,Introduction to Hydrodynamics and the Theory of Waves. St-Petersburg. Gidrometeoizdat (1992).Google Scholar