Deliberate self-harm and substance dependence: The management of patients seen in the general hospital
- 24 Downloads
The aim of this study was to examine management decisions made at the time of assessment of an episode of deliberate self-harm seen in the general hospital and examine the extent, of referral to a specialized addiction unit. Factors involved in making a clinical decision regarding the appropriate management of self-harm cases when alcohol factors were identified are reviewed. Simply referring to a specialized addiction unit was found to be an unsatisfactory method of providing a comprehensive response to the problem of substance misuse and deliberate self-harm. It is suggested that services should be developed using active posthospital discharge community follow-up. Motivational interviewing used in such a setting may increase the number of patients who will go on to accept specialist care.
KeywordsAlcohol Dependence Drug Dependence Substance Dependence Problem Drinker Substance Misuse
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Robins E.:The Final Months: A Study of the Lives of 134 Persons Who Committed Suicide. New York: Oxford University Press, 1981.Google Scholar
- 8.Ewing JA, Rouse BA: Identifying the Hidden Alcoholic. Paper presented at the 29th International Congress on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, Sydney, Australia, 1970.Google Scholar
- 9.Mental Disorders: Glossary and Guide to Their Classification in Accordance with the Ninth Revision of the International Classification of Diseases. Switzerland: World Health Organisation, 1978.Google Scholar
- 10.Beck AT, Schuyler D, Herman I: Development of suicidal intent, scales. In: Beck AT, Resnik HLP, Lettieri DJ (Eds): MD: Charles Press, 1974, pp. 45–56.Google Scholar
- 11.Gardner MJ, Altman DG:Statistics with confidence: Confidence intervals and statistical guidance. London: British Medical Association, 1989.Google Scholar
- 16.Advisory Committee on Alcoholism: The Pattern and Range of Services for Problem Drinkers. Department of Health and Social Security and the Welsh HMSO Office, 1978.Google Scholar