Determination of14C in spent HTGR fuel elements
- 38 Downloads
Spent HTGR-fuel spheres were analysed chemically to determine their14C content.14C is mainly (∼96%) produced in the graphite matrix of the fuel. About 75% of the14C is derived from14N. More than 99% of14C is released as CO2 during the combustion of the fuel elements. Assuming no14C retention, the maximum body burden at the critical region of a 50000 MW HTGR reprocessing plant will be ∼ 70 mrem/a.
KeywordsFuel Element Spend Fuel Fuel Particle Neutron Dose Graphite Matrix
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. FÖRTHMANN, JÜL-950-RW (1973).Google Scholar
- 2.P. NAEFE, E. ZIMMER, JÜL-1286 (1976).Google Scholar
- 3.H. NICKEL. Lecture on Reactor Materials and Fuels, Aachen, 1973.Google Scholar
- 4.AVR Notice H5-X5 T-1 (1975).Google Scholar
- 5.P. FILSS, KFA-ICT, Annual Report (1975/76) 136.Google Scholar
- 6.P. SCHMIDT, JÜL-1567 (1969).Google Scholar