Trace element pharmacognostical study on diuretic drugs by neutron activation analysis
Some pharmacological properties and especially diuretic action of medicinal plants are attributed to their elemental content. The elements chlorine, manganese, potassium and sodium are determined by instrumental neutron activation analysis in the dry samples of the following drugs: stigmata of Zea mays, leaves of Uva ursi, rhizome of Cynodon dactylon, whole plant of Ceterach officinarum as well as in infusions, decoction of the same drugs and in the water used for these preparations. It has been found that manganese and potassium are transferred partially into prepared solutions. Sodium is not transferred into solutions from any of these drugs while only chlorine is transferred partially into infusion of Zea mays. From these results it is concluded that the diuretic action of the examined drugs should not be attributed exclusively to the presence of their potassium and chlorine content but also to other constituents.
KeywordsInstrumental Neutron Activation Analysis Cynodon Dactylon Polyethylene Vial Mixed Standard Solution Water Blank
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. BOCK-WERTHMANN, G. PAPACOSTIDIS, A. P. GRIMANIS, J. PETROU, D. GEORGIOU, M. VASSILAKI-GRIMANI, Demo Report 74/15, Greek Atomic Energy Commission Athens, Greece, 1974.Google Scholar
- 2.H. J. M. BOWEN, Trace elements in Biochemistry. Academic Press, London and New York, 1966.Google Scholar
- 3.W. C. BOWMAN, M. J. RAND, G. B. WEST, Textbook of Pharmacology. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford and Edinburg, 1968.Google Scholar
- 4.Documenta Geigy, Scientific Tables, 6th ed. Konrad Diem, Published by J. R. GEIGY S. A., Basle, Switzerland, 1962.Google Scholar
- 5.P. FOURNIER, Le livre des plantes médicinales et vénéneuses de France, Paul Lechevalier, 12 rue de Tournon, Paris VIe, 1947.Google Scholar
- 7.G. G. KANIAS, S. M. PHILIANOS, J. Radioanal. Chem., (in press).Google Scholar
- 9.R. R. PARIS, H. MOYSE, Précis de Matiére Médicale, Vol. 1, 2nd Ed. Masson et Cie, Paris, 1976.Google Scholar
- 10.Secrets et vertus des plantes médicinales. 1st ed. Sélection du Reader's Digest, Paris, Bruxelles, Montréal, Zurich, 1977.Google Scholar