Activation analysis of halogens in photographic emulsions using a252Cf neutron multiplier
- 26 Downloads
A nondestructive neutron activation technique for the simultaneous direct determination of chlorine, bromine, and iodine in silver halide mixtures is described using a252Cf neutron multiplier (CFX). About 5–50 mg of sample are used. The analysis is semiroutine, without the need for a monitor included with each sample since the flux stability and reproducibility are within ±1%, decaying only with the 2.65 year half-life of252Cf. The precision and accuracy are counting-statistics controlled and are generally ±1% RSD or better. The method offers an attractive alternative to existing chemical and instrumental methods for these determinations in silver halide mixtures because it has the potential for providing reasonably rapid analyses with good precision and accuracy.
KeywordsHalogen Photographic Emulsion AgBr Coulometric Titration Silver Halide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Californium-252 Progr., 12 (1972) 52.Google Scholar
- 2.Californium-252 Progr., 13 (1972) 42.Google Scholar
- 3.Californium-252 Progr., 16 (1973) 26.Google Scholar
- 4.Californium-252 Progr., 18 (1975) 27.Google Scholar
- 6.W. CLARK, J. Chem. Soc., (1926) 749.Google Scholar
- 7.E. P. PRZYBYLOWICZ, A. J. MOYSE, T. N. TISCHER, unpublished work, 1964.Google Scholar
- 8.G. RUSSELL, Sci. Ind. Photogr., 28 (1957) 297.Google Scholar
- 10.R. A. JOHNSON, B. E. GORDON, Trans. Am. Nucl. Soc., 7 (1964) 328.Google Scholar
- 12.J. J. LAUFF, E. R. CHAMPLIN, E. P. PRZYBYLOWICZ, Anal. Chem., 45 (1973) 52.Google Scholar
- 14.C. M. LEDERER, J. M. HOLLANDER, I. PERLMAN, Table of the Isotopes, 6th ed., Wiley, New York, 1968.Google Scholar